The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK I have a 110 gallon setup w/ a CLS powered by a dart pump. After all head and what not it's probably ~ 3,000 GPH. I have a spray bar and four returns as well near each back corner of the tank. I also have about 600 gph flow throgh the sump matching my ASM G3 capabilities. I have a sponge block in the last stage of baffles!

It seems as the CLS definitly is doing it job:D .....1. water flow, and 2. keeping stuff suspended.

Problem is I don't like the looks of the suspended particles. How can I resolve this. The main issue seems the particles aren't getting into the overflow! Some obviously are but not the majority as it's been weeks and still there. Plus tank is BB currently?

I attached my tank layout so help in where I should be pointing the returns! You should figure out the design from these. The two returns closest to the over flow are sump returns.

Basically:
- the sump returns are aimed just under the water surface pointing towards the bends on the front of the tank.
-The CLS upper returns are aimed just a little down from the water surface straight out and just a little towrd the middle of the tank!
-The lower CLS returns are Y'd w/ two nozzles one straight out and one up on a 45*

Attachments

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is BB.......:p

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
All gonna have to do with the AIM of the flow.

You can also add carbon ... that will clear up the tank's water.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
if it is bb then you may need to cook your rock to get all the nasties out first. it is all about getting the particles up and out so if they are floating then that's good... now just get them to the skimmer.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
well I usually run carbon.....

The rock was never cooked and was in 3" SB for the first 3 years of it's life. I also never blasted rock. Just sand vacumming w/ WC's. I Just knew what the LFS told me.....Then about 9 mos ago I find TRT. Oh no!:idea:

So I make all these changes: Sump vs. wet/dry, Whimpy skimmer vs. BIG Skimmer, CLS vs. no CLS, MH vs PC, Rock blasting vs. nothing, ........
So the rock is probably shedding alot then...huh! I guess it means a lot of siphoning, WC's, and wet skimming till the rock is done

So I am basically cooking it in my tank now? Well so how long do you think this will last?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i have found it difficult to keep the suspeded particles under controll. :( i am experimenting with sponges to trap it for now. eventually i am going to add a conical settling tank just before the sump in order to catch as much of the suspended particles as i can.

the way my sump is setup i do not have an efficient way for all of the detritus to make it to the skimmer. this does not help my cause much either.

G~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts