The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the LFS this weekend, they had very few fish, it was very dissapointing. They did have Clowns however, all different varities. I want to have at least one type in my 125 gal tank, but I am not sure what I want...does anyone have any suggestions.

Also, the guy at the LFS said that the False Percula, Ocellaris Clownfish will not host in an anemone except for a carpet, is this true?

Here is the my issue, I want whatever I get to host so I did not buy the False. But the true were $40 each...and the false were $20. Are the true really worth double? He did have some nice Clarkii and pink skunks, but I think the wife really likes the bright orange on the true or false.

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
My Percula Clown hosts in Xenia. I could be wrong but I think they are also called true Clowns. Regardless he is bright orange like Nemo

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard that most can be very stubborn...they will try to host in anything...the true and false look almost exactly alike (true) has more black though.

I just wanted to get perspective.

Thanks for your example...

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
True perculas have black rims on their white, unlike the false ones which have their white/orange without any black in between. I have two trues which try and host in my yellow star polyps, and a large gold-banded maroon clown who is "king" of the 135-gallon. I think the maroon clowns can be more territorial but they are all fun to keep. I also have a small maroon in the nanocube hosting in a bulb tip anemone. That is their normal host in the wild.

HHC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts