The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've dreamed for many years of having a reef tank. It's finally happening, and I was beyond thrilled to get my first inhabitants yesterday: four clowns. They are beautiful and fun to watch.

Here's my question: they seem to spend most of their time in a small clot in one specific corner of the tank. It's a big tank, a Red Sea 650, and I'm just wondering: do clowns normally huddle in a corner rather than roam or hang out in the LR?

Thanks!

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,670 Posts
Welcome to TRT, and thanks for joining in. This outa help get you a few more posts so we can see them all important pics! We do love our pictures around here. All the best,
Hack

·
15,670 Posts
There ya go! Sounds like normal Clown behavior to me.
Hack

·
15,670 Posts
.....yeah, I think you'll fit in just fine around here!:D
Hack

·
15,670 Posts
If'n you get a chance, swing past the 'WELCOME' thread and tell us something about yourself, and set up. Way down here is a tad obscure.
Hack

·
15,670 Posts
Never mind.....see you beat me to it.
Hack

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Welcome to TRT! :wavey:

Clowns usually do pick a certain area to "host" them. That's their home space. It might be a corner or a powerhead or a particular coral or an anemone - whatever catches their interest. As Jerry said, they're weird little guys and there's no telling what they'll like.

One note of caution, more than a single pair of clowns in a tank (unless very large) usually causes problems. If they're all from the same batch they'll sometimes get along, but it looks like you have ocellaris and percula mixed together, so that's out. One will turn female, one male and the others may get picked on. If two happen to be female, they'll fight until there's only one left.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome to TRT! :wavey:

Clowns usually do pick a certain area to "host" them. That's their home space. It might be a corner or a powerhead or a particular coral or an anemone - whatever catches their interest. As Jerry said, they're weird little guys and there's no telling what they'll like.

One note of caution, more than a single pair of clowns in a tank (unless very large) usually causes problems. If they're all from the same batch they'll sometimes get along, but it looks like you have ocellaris and percula mixed together, so that's out. One will turn female, one male and the others may get picked on. If two happen to be female, they'll fight until there's only one left.
Crap. My LFS guy said clowns got along great. Note to future self. Hopefully the tank is large enough that they all get their own space. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Definitely weird, but I swear they are as cute as puppies. Is there any way to post a video? I took a 5-10 second vid of them eating and they are just awesome.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts