The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help?

I bought a pair of clowns yesterday, after about 3 hrs in my tank which is a 75gl the female started acting strange and went behind the rock, now one of her eyes is swollen, majorly and it looks a little milky and she isn't breathing very well at all. Can anyone please give me advice on what to do before she dies. The male is fine and my water test just fine?????

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Are the fish's gills extended or red? Any spots or other symptons?

Did she look fine in the store? If so, she could have injured herself in the rocks, trying to hide in your tank, or she could have been injured during the netting at the store.

I see from your posts that your tank has been up and running about 6 weeks, Are there any other fish in your tank that could have been picking on the clown?

If it's an injury, at this point, I would just leave her be. There's not much you can do other than to keep checking for a secondary infection.

If the problem continues or you see signs of secondary infection, putting the fish in a quarantine tank and treating with Nitrofurazol might be the best course of action.

Hope it pulls through.

Alice

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only other fish in the tank is the mate, the male clown,
she really looks like she's going to die, part of the time she's on her side, the other part she's upright, her left eye looks horrible, very swollen and milky, her gills aren't swollen or red that I can tell, what do you think this is?

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
I wish I knew, but it's just so hard to tell without seeing/observing the fish and often times even then you can't tell without looking at things under a microscope.

Call or visit the LFS where you bought the fish; see if any of the other fish in the tank are sick and what symptoms they are exhibiting. Look for discoloration, heavy slime coats, rough-looking scales, rapid breathing, white spots-anything out of the ordinary.

I wish I could help more, maybe JennM, Spanky or one of the others more conversant with fish disease will chime in.

Alice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts