The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever have their clowns host a kenya tree? I have 2 tank raised percs and right now they seem to stay at the top. I have the setup for an anemone but don't want one since this is basically a frag tank. I have heard of clowns hosting torch corals and xenia. Xenia is really similar to the kenya tree. Any suggestions or should i start budgeting for something else. I only paid 5 bucks for the kenya so ....Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Anyone ever have their clowns host a kenya tree? I have 2 tank raised percs and right now they seem to stay at the top. I have the setup for an anemone but don't want one since this is basically a frag tank. I have heard of clowns hosting torch corals and xenia. Xenia is really similar to the kenya tree. Any suggestions or should i start budgeting for something else. I only paid 5 bucks for the kenya so ....Thanks for any info.
clowns will host a variety of things in a tank. whatever they feel the safest in, even plants.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well they were hosting a magnet glass cleaner in the tank but lost interest in that a few weeks ago. Now one sleeping at the top front corner of the tank and the other by the overflow in the back. Would kind of be nice to get them to stay together and not at the top of the tank. I have a 150 W MH but too many coral frags so i am not interested in a nem even though that might be best for the clowns. They are tank raised so i guess i will have to see. I was just hoping that since the kenya tree has been growing and doing well that they might play with that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
my 2 tank-raised ocellaris try to host my frogspawn. they bring it bits of food, but release the food above the polyps as opposed to near the mouth or down between the polyps, so it floats away in the current... then they grab the food, hurry it back to the coral, release it again above the coral... they each do it 4 or 5 times in a row before they get pissed off and give up until next feeding, lol

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds pretty funny to watch. I am gonna wait to see what these guys do. If i ever upgrade to a bigger tank, i will try a nem for them. Right now i am debating about moving my rock around. I was thinking of putting some against the glass in the back since i can't really clean it anyway since i have a hob skimmer.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Tank raised or wild caught makes no difference. Clowns are genetically driven to find a host. They use chemical cues in the wild to find the correct type of anemone. In the absence of these chemical cues, they will pick whatever makes them feel safe and comfortable whether it's a coral, a not normally hosted species of anemone or a cleaner magnet. Anemones are not required to have happy. healthy clowns.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a tank raised clown and have had him for a year, he doesnt host anything, just swims around at the top. I have also read other places tank raised clowns wont host, this is why they cost so much less than wild clowns

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I have a tank raised clown and have had him for a year, he doesnt host anything, just swims around at the top. I have also read other places tank raised clowns wont host, this is why they cost so much less than wild clowns
Absolutely untrue. Hosting is genetic, not a learned behavior.

Aquacultured clowns are less expensive because the don't need to be collected by divers and then shipped around the world passing through multiple middlemen who get their cut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts