The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of black ocellaris clowns, that I've had for about 2 1/2 weeks now. When I first got them they would gobble up frozen brine shrimp as fast as I could feed them, and if I put in any flake food they would pretty much ignore it. I know the flake isn't great for them, but for some reason within the past week they hardly touch the brine shrimp when I try feeding them that, and will gobble up the flake food like no tomorrow now. I have also tried feeding blood worms, and chopped up silversides, but with both they showed interest, but would pick at it and more or less just spit it back out.

Are clowns usually finicky eaters, or do they just switch between what they eat? I have them in a QT right now, and want to make sure that this isn't a brewing issue before adding them to my DT.

I'm assuming water parameters will be wanted, I can get them up in the AM.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm mostly concerned about using the flake stuff, I've heard that it puts a lot of phosphates into the water, and I'd like to avoid it since I prefer feeding the frozen stuff to my tank because my other fish go crazy over it. I've tried soaking the frozen food in Garlic Extreme, but it hasn't made any difference in eating habit.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I feel for you. I had the opposite issue - they wouldn't eat the first week I had them.

I agree with you on flake, but many tanks are run successfully feeding with it. It's all in the maintenance. To me, whatever extra work involved is worth a critter happy critter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I feed my occelaris prime reef frozen food. I've had them for about two weeks. They won't touch mysis or brine yet. So maybe give that a shot. Mine seem to have an issue with larger pieces that brine shrimp and mysis shrimp happen to be. But prime reef breaks down into smaller more manageable pieces and they love it. It is also designed for reef tanks to not harm the water params too much so maybe check it out. it's made by ocean nutrition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.