The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Hi all
In the compatibility charts I have looked at it says that clowns and lions are not compatible. Do you know what would happen if these were put together? Would the clown kill the lion or the lion kill the clown?
Also lion vs. damsels. who will kill who?
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
299 Posts
Lionfish will kill anything that is small. I watched my buddy go through an experience with one in his FOWLR 75 gal tank. The Lionfish ate his 3 Damsels he used to cycle the tank with and 2 Dart fish. He also fed it goldfish. It's definitely a predator fish and I have never seen one in a reef tank, wouldn't trust it as well. Just think about when you have to perform maintenance and have your hand in there with it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">thanks.
so as long as a fish is bigger than the lion its safe?
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I think that if the fish can inject pioson from its body that can hurt a human that it need to stay in the ocean and I can see it from there (the lion that is)

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
cyberlady said:
<table id="HB_Mail_Container" unselectable="on" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%" width="100%"><tbody><tr unselectable="on" width="100%" height="100%"><td id="HB_Focus_Element" unselectable="off" background="" height="250" valign="top" width="100%">thanks.
so as long as a fish is bigger than the lion its safe?
</td></tr><tr unselectable="on" hb_tag="1"><td style="font-size: 1pt;" unselectable="on" height="1">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

For the most part, keep in mind the lion's mouth is bigger than it looks.

The poison part is another thing, make sure to have a list of tank inhabs to give to the hospital, just in case you get stung and are allergic.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a dwarf fuzzy in a tank with a maroon clown. It was a reef tank. they did fine togother. It does kind of suck when you have to find the lion before you stick your hand in the tank. Also, once the lion figures out that you equal food, then you can't get them to stay away from you when you are at/in the tank. I will say this though, I don't think there is anything more rewarding then getting a dwarf lionfish to eat frozen food. It took me a couple months of daily work, but that first time he ate frozen was great.:banana:

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
My husband wants a lion. I told him sure but you have to get the tank, set it up, and keep it clean. I ain't going nowhere near something that could put me in the hospital. So far he hasn't attempted it. Maybe I'll get him to get the tank and I'll set it up for him. Then one day while he is at work take it to lfs. I can say I dont know what happened to it. Then I can have my big tank!

·
Registered
300 Posts
jenajet said:
My husband wants a lion. I told him sure but you have to get the tank, set it up, and keep it clean. I ain't going nowhere near something that could put me in the hospital. So far he hasn't attempted it. Maybe I'll get him to get the tank and I'll set it up for him. Then one day while he is at work take it to lfs. I can say I dont know what happened to it. Then I can have my big tank!
:rotflmao:

Just tell him "I'm sure it's got to be in there somewhere. Keep watching" and see how long you can get him to dance in front of the tank

·
Registered
66 Posts
I love lion fish, but too bad, I cant stand seeing it eat my other fish in the tank alive! ouch.. that hurt.. so no lion fish in my tank. any fish that require alive fish feeding is not allow in my tank! too inhuman

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I love lions too, had one for years alone in a 50-gallon with only crabs - he didn't bother them but would eat anything that fell in - we gave him bugs, frozen food, live goldfish, guppies. I agree with Rchull that you think twice about doing any tank maintenance because of the poison spines.

They are neat fish but I think better off alone.

HHC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts