The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased Spotcintus Clownfish pair on wednesday 3/22/17. I have tried to feed the pair a pellets. I know the pellets is small enough for them to eat because I have small three stripped damselfish and eat the same size of pellets. Then I tried to feed my old mysis shrimp (been outside the package cube maybe have been defrost and froze again) and they still spit out the mysis shrimp. What should I do? I have tried to feed them for 4 days and they just spit out the food. My tank is 25g and it has been running for 14 months. It is the only fish in the tank right now. I have 55 gallon tank still in progress and hasn't been running yet. I will move the clownfish pair once the tank is running. The only tankmate is the skunk cleaner shrimp. lol

Thanks ahead

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
For just them maybe once or twice a day small quantities. Put in a pinch near them and watch their reaction and stop if no interest so as not to pollute your tank.

You might also try blood worms or even live brine from your LFS. My wife gets them for her fresh water tank and gives me some...the fish love them.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Can you call the place you got them and ask what they were feeding them? Maybe get the same kind of food for them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did contact my lfs and they said they feed all kind of food from pellets to frozen food. I did see the fish take the food into the mouth but it spat the food out. Then it tried to catch it again but spat out and eventually the food sink down and they gave up. Then my cleaner shrimp ate the food on the sand.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Just keep trying different things until you find one he likes. Marks suggestion of live foods is a great one - brine shrimp or black worms are sure to catch his attention. I wouldn't suggest continuing to feed him just brine shrimp, but at least it'll get him eating.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
The clowns would certainly eat the tigger pods. But they're kind of expensive for how quickly the clowns would gobble them up.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Okay, Will ask my lfs to see if they sell live food. Is trigger pod great food for the clownfish?
The LFS probably has live and frozen brine shrimp...the live usually catches the attention of the fish as being it's natural method of eating. There isn't anyone dropping pellets or flake into the ocean ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought two little clowns myself. I bought the food they recommended and mine did the same thing. I actually ended up crushing the pellets into smaller pieces with my nails and then dropping it piece by piece. They finally ate. It's been about a month and I've worked my way up to soaking the pellets in a small cup of tank water and softening them up. My black one can take them right out of the container (dry) but my orange one still needs them slightly soft. They are growing well now. I think their mouths were just too small for the really hard pellets. Even though the pellets were tiny.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well here's the thing. I have the exact same size pellets that I feed to my baby ocellaris clownfish and my damselfish. Both ocellaris clownfish and damselfish are eating that pellets. Now that I think of it, I've never soaking the pellets and softening them up. I will give that a try too. I just bought PE mysis shrimp and gonna try that tonight. Wish me luck!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on the clownfish. Just recently like couple minutes ago, I put mysis shrimp into the tank and the female is eating alot. As for my male clownfish, he still spitting out the food and am not sure if he's eating or not but I did see him taking the big piece of the shrimp then spit out again. Should I be worry about him? What else should i do? I just ordered american selcon via amazon and will arrive on April 7th.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Update on the clownfish. Just recently like couple minutes ago, I put mysis shrimp into the tank and the female is eating alot. As for my male clownfish, he still spitting out the food and am not sure if he's eating or not but I did see him taking the big piece of the shrimp then spit out again. Should I be worry about him? What else should i do? I just ordered american selcon via amazon and will arrive on April 7th.

If hes still swimming around and not just hanging out at the bottom of the tank, he may be eating enough. If he's energetic, I wouldn't worry too much yet. Are the others nipping at him? My two just went through their "figure out who's going to be dominant" stage and I thought I was going to have to separate them. Now I believe they have paired!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't see the other clownfish nipping at him or not while i'm there. He is swimming around but he's not as active as my female clownfish. Sometime he would follow her.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts