The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually my clown kind bobs up and down near the intake to my filter during the nite (what I thought was him sleeping). Tonight I went and checked on everything before I went to bed only to find him on the sand bed not moving at all. After watching him for about ten minutes (motionless the whole time), he finally moved a fin moved about a half an inch then became motionless again. I don't understand why he would change his sleeping patterns so drastically when he was always near the top of the water. He seriously looks dead just sitting wedged between the substrate and the glass.

Is this normal, what do you guys think?

LS

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
My clowns lays on sand from time to time. Once it was upside down. Just sleeping tho I thought it was dead. As soon as lights come on it up and adam and ready to eat. Just keep an eye on him but probably fine.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Both of my GSM clowns sleep on the sand like that. They lay motionless next to their slipper coral that they host. Freaked me out at first too because they used to sleep at the top above one of the power heads.

·
11,345 Posts
Mine gets to sleeping on top of my anemones mouth as well as underneath his tentacles. My anemone is big enough to eat ten fish his size and not even show a bulge so i always think my anemone finally got tired of me not feeding the tank and chowed down on him. Hes always fine, but he does always pull these dissappearing acts in the shadows of his host as he lies motionless for hours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got my first clown fish (False Percula) and it seems to like to sleep in the empty veggie clip (it looks like another clown fish)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mine do the same thing, either sleep on the sand bed or upside down, one clown actually lays on the sandbed during the day at times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts