The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Monday TRT!!! Last week my clownfish found my sebae anemone after about 6 months. The clownfish is not full into the sebae but only flirting with it. Not sure if this is the beginning of forming the bond or not but i also have a powder brown tang and a timini tang and I've noticed that they are hanging out by the anemone too. They are even picking at the anemone around the mouth area. Is this normal? The anemone tentacles don't seem to affect either fish. What can i do to keep them away and isn't that the clownfish job?

· Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like they need a bit more food, the tangs that is. It's a surprise that they aren't getting stung and they are participating in some risky behavior there.
Not sure why they can get so close without getting stung. I don't understand that part at all. As far as the food goes. I cant seem to find the right balance of feeding. Is a cube of mysis, brine, or spinula too much to feed a day or not enough?

· Premium Member
18,835 Posts
I didn't figure that was the case.

Anemone don't always sting so it's possible the tangs are doing okay. The problem is, if they get more aggressive in their picking, or try to get the zooxanthellae out of the anemone's tissue, then it could react with a flexing sting and end up having tang for lunch.

Providing the tangs with more grazing food, such as a nori sheet or some fresh macro algae should help eliminate this behavior.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.