The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!

I came home from work today and found my clownfish sitting/laying on the bottom of the tank with his mouth open gasping "for air"!

He moves around a little bit - looks like he tries to hide near a rock or something.

His body looks clean and no signs of parasites. He has been eating like normal the past few evenings.

No idea how this has happened. What should I do??

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I just came on. Not much to do except add an air stone to insure there is enough oxygen. From my experience I think he is finished.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Salinity, PH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all fine - so are my other fish.

Why would the oxygen all of a sudden drop and he would suffer? I dont have any airstones but I may run to the store right away to grab some.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should I place the airstone next to him?

·
Registered
789 Posts
It is hard telling what is exaclty going on if your others are fine. If you get a bacteria bloom it can deplete the oxygen in a hurry. He may just be sick.? I would put it on his end of the tank.not necisarily right next to him. Do you run a skimmer. If you do this should be oxygenating the water fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do run a sea clone skimmer.

I just hooked up an airline to an air pump. Put it in the tank about 12" from him and it instantly spurred some life into him. He swam around near where he was, and now he is sitting/slowly moving around near the O2 line.

I've tried I place some food by him, but he doesn't really go for it.

Any other ideas??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two days ago I swapped out some rock I had been using for a couple years with some new Dry Rock from BRS. The rock that had previously been in my tank was rock that was from my property here in Ohio and was probably causing an algea problem. (I have a whole thread about this... http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/is-this-good-or-bad-algae-190251.html)

When I received the rock from BRS I let it sit in a bucket of salt water for 2 days, then rinsed it off before placing it in the tank.

Could this be causing some swing in chemistry that is making him sick - without harming my Sailfin, Longnose Fly or Damsel?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Here is a link if the embed doesnt work...

http://youtu.be/VV6b7UX--7g

I just took a video of him. So sad. But you can see what he is doing. (And see my other fish swim by to see whats up...)

I'll remove the rocks now. I am not dosing with any meds. I will leave the lights on a little extra per your recommendation.

I did test the parameters about an hour ago and they were just fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:( I don't have any inverts on the bottom, so no issue with crabs.

I placed my airline directly underneath my Koralia - so it is spewing air bubbles all over the tank to circulate the O2. Good or bad idea?

All of the new rock is out and I guess it's just a waiting game now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help. We'll see how things go tonight. Hopefully I don't wake up with a totally dead fish...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Should I do a 5 gallon water change? If the new rock I put in had something to do with irritation, then perhaps I should swap out the water? Or will this just cause more un-needed stress?

·
Registered
789 Posts
I believe I would watch and wait.If I were truly worried about chemicals I would be inclined to do a lrage water change. Kinda hard to know what to do. I believe the damage is done and if the parameters are fine it is just hard to tell what is going on. If you get up over night i would check on the others just to be safe.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, if it ends up being a chemical thing, I can only assume the others will be affected soon enough. That would be devastating - and I would be very unhappy with BRS...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Should I take him out and put him in a smaller 10 gal QT tank with any medicine?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welp - we lost him. He didn't make it through the night. When I just checked, he was laying on the bottom stiff as a board. It looked like his mouth was full of sand, really odd. I guess he croaked with his mouth open and sand just floated in his mouth overnight...?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts