The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My true percula has some strange things around his face. he has been less active and i don't see him eat its been like this for the past few days. i already gave him a freshwater dip for 5 min and he looks a little more active but those things are still there.

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
Not the best picture. What is wrong? Are those white spots around him?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Also tell us your ammonia, nitrite, ph, salinity and if you use tap water.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does anyone know if it was Brookynella if he would have to take everything out of the tank and leave it empty for a while or since it is refered to as a clown fish disease as long as he doesn't add a clown fish for a while it would die off and later her could add a clown fish? Reason I am asking I think I had it. It took out two clowns.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fish.

Brooklynella, if that was the problem is tricky to treat. Copper isn't really effective against it.

The following treatment works with varying degrees of the infection, to eliminate the parasite. With careful attention the parasite can be brought under control/eliminated, but one should be aware there is no "24 hour" simple cure. Beware of anyone telling you that they have such a quick cure.

* Giving a dip in RODI freshwater, make sure the same temperature & pH is the same as the Marine tank, and for ~15 minutes with careful observation must being made, during this time, to avoid distress, and remove fish remove fish if major problem is observed. (The fish will become lethargic after a few minutes and you will need to stimulate swishing your finger to keep the fish moving.)

I hope you do not have the issue again, but if so, I hope this helped.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did do a ro water dip but it was only for 5 minutes because i was told no more than 5 minutes. after the dip he was looking a little better he was swimming with his partner. the next day he wasn't able to swim and was breathing pretty hard i knew he wasn't going to make it so to make his death peaceful i turned off the pumps and filters and put him in a net so others wouldn't mess with him he passed away in half an hour :( worst part his partner was looking for him today he was exploring the rock work and it ooked like he missed him

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Fw dips cause way too much stress on fish not too metron the stress of being caught and the stress of being sick. If you don't run your tank fallow for 6-8 weeks then you will need to go 11 months with no outbreaks before adding any livestock including inverts. I'm very sorry for your loss keep a close eye on your other clown and make sure to feed vitamin rich food to boost immune system. Also if they were a mated pair I would look for signs of depression. I have read that if you tape a picture of a clown (appropriate size species etc) near it's home it does better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fw dips cause way too much stress on fish not too metron the stress of being caught and the stress of being sick. If you don't run your tank fallow for 6-8 weeks then you will need to go 11 months with no outbreaks before adding any livestock including inverts. I'm very sorry for your loss keep a close eye on your other clown and make sure to feed vitamin rich food to boost immune system. Also if they were a mated pair I would look for signs of depression. I have read that if you tape a picture of a clown (appropriate size species etc) near it's home it does better.
All you wrote is spot on, but I have to say that a proper 'fresh dip' certainly beats the outcome. That or go 'hypo', if you have the time and patience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts