The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 29 gallon biocube, I recently purchased a pair of occelaris clownfish, 2 days after adding them to my tank the bigger clown died of an unknown disease so I felt l bad and thought I'd get my remaining clown a friend, so I went to my LFS and noticed a true percula swimming by itself so I asked the "salesman" if the true perc would get along with an occelaris and of course he said yes ( typical salesman just wanting my money ) so i purshaced him also, they have been in the same tank for about 3 weeks now and have been nipping at eachother ( mainly the true perc nipping at the occellaris ) at first i thought they were establishing a pecking order but it hasn't stopped, now my occellaris just hides behind the rocks during day and only comes out at night, and when he does come out in the day my true perc chases him back in hiding, any advice on what I should do would be grately appreciated, the true perc is my favorite so I definitely want to keep him, but I'm thinking I might have to return my occellaris and purchase another true perc ?? So please tell me what you think I should do, Thanks

·
Administrator
49,400 Posts
If you are set on having a pair i would trade them both and get 2 from the same tank, as they mature they will sort it out.
Once someone has established turf it's going to be hard to prevent mayhem. If you do get a new pair, there may come a time when you wish you bought goldfish instead, esp if they go into courtship mode

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you are set on having a pair i would trade them both and get 2 from the same tank, as they mature they will sort it out.
Once someone has established turf it's going to be hard to prevent mayhem. If you do get a new pair, there may come a time when you wish you bought goldfish instead, esp if they go into courtship mode
+1. Better plan by far. And in courtship, the two might quarrel with one another, but don't be alarmed if that happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone, I guess I'm going to return them both and purchase an already mated pair of true perculas, I really like the true perc I already have, he has a lot of personality and is very healthy, I'd love to keep him but by adding another true perc I'm taking the chance that they won't get along like these two don't

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.