The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone able to house a clown trigger for me for a couple months lmk it's only and inch long and has figured out that coral is tasty. I have an agressive tank but i know my puffer will eat him in one night so i need to grow him out a bit.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
I got a big fuge with lots of pods and little shrimp.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Are you sure your puffer will munch him? Have you tried the 2 together? I can't imagine that would be a problem, even though he is only and inch or so unless your puffer is really aggressive.

We could hold him at the RFC for you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my puffer ate 5 damsels around 2'' in one night. I feed him a 1''x2'' piece of krill everyday so i don't think he starving just doesn't seem very friendly to new fish. The puffer is around 6'' maybe a little larger now. I haven't tried introducing them, yet but i'm getting the itch cause it's ate two zoa colonies and part of a clam. It broke a pocillipora colony in two. Actually worked out in my favor since I was going to split it anyway.

·
TCMAS Member
3,023 Posts
What type of puffer is it? Stars & Stripes, Porcupine, Dogface?

Sounds like you have a puffer with a bit of flare. I would not house him with any corals that you don't want to lose because it's a pretty safe bet he'll get to them.

Generally, Puffers and non-planktonic (spelling) Triggers do not do well in reef environments because of their propensity to bite rock and other items. As for the Clam, that's like putting a steak dinner in front of your dog and expecting him not to eat it when you leave the house :)

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would do a little more research on the clown trigger and puffers. There is some good information out there.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
My dog would not eat a steak if I left, he is well behaved ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the puffer is in an agressive tank with a snowflake eel. The 1'' clown trigger is in my reef tank. I did my research and almost everything said that most juv. are ok with some corals. I just decided it was safer to put him in and have him chow down some corals than risk him getting eaten by the puffer. After hearing jeffie I have decided to put the trigger in the agressive tank before i lose another zoa colony. I appreciate your comments though any advice helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts