The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sir Master Deuter the 3rd
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm crazy over the Clown Tang:nuts:. However I hear they are hard to keep??? Why is this?:peeved: What makes them so hard to keep?

Me and the LFS guy were talking :chatter:and he has told me he has sold plenty of them before and they have been doing fine. :fish:He also told me that he has found them to be a fairly hardy fish actually:ac15: and then he told me that some people have problems with them if you read online. Well I already new that they were a hard to keep fish, I just want to know why they're hard to keep before I buy him.:lookaround:

-Deuter:read:

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Well, they're arent necessarily that hard to keep. They're just incredibly aggressive as they age and grow to 15"+. That said, they don't make great choices for most aquariums. They're open water swimmers, and I personally feel that they're overly confined in all but the biggest tanks (think 8' long or so). Very similar to sohal tangs in my opinion.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I don’t think they are any harder to keep than other tangs. I’ve had one for a year and they are very aggressive and active swimmers. Mine is in a 6ft tank right now but will be in a 10ft tank next year. I would agree that they need at least an 8ft tank to be convertible when full grown.

·
Sir Master Deuter the 3rd
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how long do they take to get full grown?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mine has grown at least 3” in a year. These tangs eat like pigs and keeping them feed well keeps the aggression down. They get grumpy when there hungry :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts