The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, I've used the form for years and finally decided to post.
Clown tangs are one of my favorite fish, but as many of you know they are very difficult to keep. Over the last year I decided to give them a try and I think I can provide some really helpful info on how to keep these awesome critters. First off ill say that my first attempt was with a 4" clown in a 155 long tang that was well established and had decent flow and filtration and unfortunately after 2 months the fish died.

I decided to make another go at it with 2 clown tangs in 2 separate tanks, my original 155 and a 100 long, and have successfully kept both fish happy and healthy with theses specifics. Please keep in mind that these fish are very sensitive and basic water chemistry is crucial, to include keeping a very low phosphate level.

First off I had my best friend, who just so happens to own a lfs call his seller and request the smallest tangs they had. Both showed up at approximately 3/4 inch. I introduced both fish to there separate tanks that were established with several peaceful tank mates. It goes without saying that both tanks had perfect water chemistry. The flow on both tanks was very strong, to the point where two separate flows met in the middle and created a circular flow, and both tanks were packed with live rock on the back wall. I did this in order to provide good hiding spots that would also provide a break form the flow with out blocking it. I did not take any dramatic measures with acclamation, just a basic drip over 45 minutes with the lights off on the tank. Both fish took to the tanks very well to the point where both were grazing after the first night. it has now been 9 months and both fish are doing great. I did notice a few requirements that stand out. First off, I had a phosphate spike on my 100, no other fish was affected besides the clown tang, once I knocked the phosphate down all was well again. Secondly these guys eat like pigs, they eat every food I offer, krill, mysis, brine, emerald entree, etc, and like all tangs they looooove seaweed. I feed twice a day and keep seaweed clipped to the side of the tank 24/7, and it's amazing how much they pack away the seaweed! In closing I think that the keys are to buy as small as possible, that way the fish doesn't feel as cramped moving into a tank, keep the flow STRONG, these guys love to swim against the current, they literally will sit in front of the pump and swim. And third, keep them fat, they eat like pigs, and grow like weeds. Feel free to ask any specifics, these fish are great and with the right game plan they can be kept successfully!

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!

Pictures would be nice.
What is "Perfect water chemistry", you say you had a PO4 spike this is contradictory to perfect water quality.
Other than that I enjoyed the story, however you really did not provide any specifics.
Food yes, a variety nutrition is recommended for any tang, ample room for grazing and hiding also for any tang.
Were these Fish only systems?
How old were the systems, and what type of equip?
Do you have a Growth rate to describe? This question always comes up with Tangs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
clown tang for 1 month

Experience with the clown tang has been pretty easy so far. It has only been a month and i have noticed he is a great swimmer and never stops eating.

Hes already grown in size and looks very healthy. He just have plenty of swimming room as my tank is 500 gallons. Will update you if anything changes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts