The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting my last fish in my reef.... either a Clown Tang or a Powder Brown....

which one is easier to keep (i.e. which is less likely to get ICH)????

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
All tangs are ICH magnents. Just have to take all the precautions with any of them. As to which to get.....Out of those two choices, I like the Powder brown.

Although my Powder blue is the most beautiful speciman I have ever seen.

·
11,345 Posts
How big is your tank and what are the current inhabitants??

sorry....i knw that asnt your question but anytime someone wants to add a ich prone large fish that need a ton of space.......it makes ya curious. :)

I just was looking for info on the clown tang.........and marinecenter.com listed a 55 gallon aquarium as a minimum size for powder brown. :funny: Thats messed up.

I feel guilty on some of his friskier days having my powder blue in a 225.

·
11,345 Posts
but some days it seems like he would really like 10 feet of swimming room.
Actually, I bet if we asked them, they would say "get me out of this da mn box you jerk and put me back int he ocean!!!!!"

:funny: :arg:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I agree with you Fly,.. I feel bad about having my Sailfin in a 125 some days,.. it's 6 foot, but some days it seems like he would really like 10 feet of swimming room.

oh well,.. into the 180 soon.

Whiskey
My sailfin tank makes laps around the reef in the 125g tank, it's setup like a peninsula; 2 sided reef. Tomato clown runs the track the opposite way all day too. I'd love a powder brown too for they are so cute, but it's 50/50 if they'll pick at corals. Use with caution from my research.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,681 Posts
Actually, I bet if we asked them, they would say "get me out of this da mn box you jerk and put me back int he ocean!!!!!"

:funny: :arg:
I don't know,.. I wouldn't want to spend my whole life running from predators and fighting for food!

Of course,.. maybe we do that anyway and just don't notice.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,681 Posts
My sailfin tank makes laps around the reef in the 125g tank, it's setup like a peninsula; 2 sided reef. Tomato clown runs the track the opposite way all day too. I'd love a powder brown too for they are so cute, but it's 50/50 if they'll pick at corals. Use with caution from my research.
Wait?! Powder brown Tang picking at corals? That's the first I've heard of that,.. Are we talking about 2 different fish?

Whiskey

(P.S. I am very much not a fish guy,.. so I may easily be wrong)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Pro and cons to both fish and thats why I've never tried either. The powder brown can be a bit delicate and more prone to ick while the clown can be very aggressive. Both are fairly large tangs that need lots of space I'd say at least a 125g but bigger would be better.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Definately not the clown tang. I just lost mine even tho it was eating like a pig. I had him six months and he just went down hill fast in the last month. I saw an article that explained the reason for this in an article but havn't found it yet. They are prone to a internal parasite that keeps them from digesting their food so even tho they eat, they don't get any of the nutrients they need. Also the clown tang gets about 15 inches and are extremely territorial when they mature.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Jena, that is exactly what the ones i had did. :( not sure about the internal parasite thing, unless they are immune to metronidazole. i was dumping that stuff in the tank for a while to try and cure it, but never seemed to do any good.

i have a gold rim that is doing fine. i like them better than the powder browns.

G~

·
Registered
213 Posts
powder brown. clown tangs rarely do well. I've tried both and never kept a clown for any length of time. I've had one powder brown that eventually outgrew my 100 long. I don't ever rember seeing a spot of ich on him. i added a powder blue to my tank today. it is about 6 inches and very thick. it is picking algae two hours into the tank. i still think it may be a coin toss. good luck.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Jena, that is exactly what the ones i had did. :( not sure about the internal parasite thing, unless they are immune to metronidazole. i was dumping that stuff in the tank for a while to try and cure it, but never seemed to do any good.

i have a gold rim that is doing fine. i like them better than the powder browns.

G~
Yep tried the metrodazole as well. I have decided to put off all tangs until I get the larger tank going. I have heard the powder browns do better than most but with a 4 ft tank I just don't want to go that route again.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Powder Brown gets my vote for being hardier than Powder Blue and less aggressive than the Clown... But then again I have a Powder Blue ;) My powder brown died from ich when switching tanks from 55g -> 90g... It was probably stressed out though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wait?! Powder brown Tang picking at corals? That's the first I've heard of that,.. Are we talking about 2 different fish?

Whiskey

(P.S. I am very much not a fish guy,.. so I may easily be wrong)
i've heard of that a couple times, usually with clams though. powder blues are worse about it. but i would stay away from clown tangs, because they are really sensitive, get really big, and really mean. powder browns are almost as delicate, but only get 10" or so and are a LITTLE more passive. but that all depends on the individual fish :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts