The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a mated pair of gold striped maroon clown fish. A couple days ago the smaller male died. Of what appears to be old age. No sign of disease just stopped eating and was having trouble swimming.
Question is how does the female usually do after loosing a mate ? Believe they were together for approx. 7 years.
Is it a good idea to add anotherclown of the same species? And if so when?
Thanks for the help would love to have her paired again just don't know if its a good thing to do.

· Registered
715 Posts
Maroons are one of the harder clown species to pair up. Would suggest sticking with another maroon. Get the smallest one that you can, when you introduce it into the tank, make sure to use an acclimation box -- will give the 2 clowns (( mainly the new one )) a safe environment while they get used to each other. I would wait at least 5 days before releasing the male. Be prepared to remove it if the female is beating the snot out of it.

· Registered
715 Posts
Since you lost the male, and not the female, it doesn't matter too much. However, I wouldn't wait too long -- the female could get used to being by itself. Anytime in the next month or two should be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.