The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lil Reefer
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a percula clown fish and I have had it about 3 weeks now. About 5 days ago I came home and the clown fish was in my sebae anemone. It seemed as if the fish was going to host the anemone. When I woke up the next day the clown wasn't on the anemone and hasn't gone back to its since. Is there a reason he wont go back? When he was in he kept swimming and rubbing through it. Now he doesn't seem interested in it anymore. Why wont he host there at night even?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine are strange too. They will usually only go into it at night time or at random times during the day for a few minutes then they ignore it for a while. Only time will tell. Maybe he got a nice sting from the anemone and is scared to go back in.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Just needs time to build up a slime coat. It may have got a little stung but as the slime coat builds up it will go back into the nem.

·
Lil Reefer
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At night the clown fish and shrimp kinda play with each other which is cool. Even at night the clown looks at the anemone and doesn't seem to care. Would it help to get a wild clown fish? Would it host better? That's what my LFS said. However some of my friend dont have wild clowns and they host anemone. Mine isnt wild and it rubbed in my anemone one time. So does it matter if the fish is wild or not?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wild or tank raised, if they dont want to go in they wont. Some people claim that wild ones are more likely to go in them, but i have 6 tank raised clowns in my tank and they all spend alot of time in my anemones. When i have my first pair of clowns i used this method, some fear it because if the clown isnt fully ready its a slight chance it could get stung... I put my first pair in a small breeder box, approx 4x12 inches big, and the anemone on the opposite end with a small clear plexiglass in the middle for 1 day/night. The next day i moved the plexi glass so they were free to investigate if they wanted. They still hadn't gone in so i closed off about 1/3 of the breeder box leaving them less room, and that night they both went in, i left them for about a day to make sure they knew, and then put the anemone in the tank, and release them near it and in they went.... All the rest of my clowns seem to just learn from the original pair and have their own anemones they like to play in. I will say, do not rush them... these things take time and may never happen no matter how bad you want it to.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I should also mention my anemones are all bubble tips, so this may have a effect on whether your clown will take to it or not.

·
Lil Reefer
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate everyones help. I hope I can get a clown to work in my tank and host my anemone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts