The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the cause or reason for less than crystal clear water? Mine seems a bit cloudy right now. Not so much from the front, but when you look through the tank on the side, it is cloudy. Also, I put in a cleaner shrimp this morning and two hours later he was dead. The tank is established and water params are good. amm=0 nitrite=0 nitrate=0 pH=8.1 temp=80 phosphate=.5 Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i would think its acclimation, shrimp arent great at quick changes in water.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Do you have a sump? Consider throwing some carbon in a mesh bag in it if you do.

Do you have caulerpa that has recently turned white?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Usually water quality causes clarity issues. You might try, as Chris mentioned, some carbon or another product called Purigen. The benefit of Purigen is that it is rechargeable.

KG

·
Registered
473 Posts
Agreed on the carbon...the other causes I've heard are overfeeding, and the addition of certain chemicals or other additives can do it as well.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
I suggest Carbon in the sump also, Then start skimming like crazy and do some water changes. Shrimp death is probably related to the acclimation, sounds quite common for them to die w/o proper acclimation.

With your phosphates that high, you might consider phosban or something like it.

Does the Purigen spoken of remove phosphates also??? I recognize the name of the stuff, but have never used it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found out the SG at the LFS was 1.020, whereas mine is at 1.025. So, I'm sure the poor acclimation killed him.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Fly Guy said:
what does this mean?????

I dont keep caulerpa anymore....but i did at one time and some of it DID turn white.....just curious
Caleurpa goes Holocarpy fairly regularly. also know as going "sexual". if it outgrows its current conditions it will completely release all of its bound nutrients back into the system. it effectively kills itself. this allows it to spread and start over. the bad news is our closed systems are not able to handle such a huge influx of new material. this causes a massive spike in ammonia. usually ends in a tank crash. :(

this is why it is not recommended to keep any species of Caleurpa.

G~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts