The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my cloudy water has not gone away and I think it might be a bloom of some sort that will work itself out. I wanted to add my 1st fish this weekend, but I'm thinking twice now b/c of this. So my question is should I hold off?

The tank has been up for 4 weeks, and ammonia, nitrites, nitrates have been zero for 3 weeks. I honestly think it looks more like particles (but not sand) than bubbles, but I tried to leave no stone unturned. Here is what I did to try and figure out the cloudy water issue:

1. Re-secured all the fittings in the return
2. cleaned the pump
3. turned the skimmer off overnight
4. siphoned the junk out of the sump
5. did a 20% water change
6. Re-tested, confirmed ammonia, nitrites, nitrates are all still 0

So I'm a little confused b/c if its a bacteria bloom, wouldn't I probably have some nitrates? or no? and if its just a bloom, is it ok to add a hardy fish? (thinking of a royal gamma)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd wait to add fish and corals 4 weeks is still a pretty young tank
Is that based on the cloudiness or just in general? The tank was set up w/ live sand and cured live rock, so I experienced almost no cycle...all readings have been 0 for 3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Both really I'd definitely try and figure out the cloudy but I'm Conservative on adding anything quickly

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both really I'd definitely try and figure out the cloudy but I'm Conservative on adding anything quickly
ok, im just confused, b/c on tue, before the cloudiness i posted a list of a fish, a couple corals, and a clean up crew, and everyone said to go ahead and add it....i didnt b/c of the cloudiness started the next day, but i am pretty sure after everything i did that the cloudiness is just a bacteria bloom...if it is, is this harmful to fish? (i wouldnt think so if my readings are 0, or does the 0 readings mean it cant be a bacteria bloom??)

·
Administrator
46,755 Posts
Cloudy water is a bacterial bloom, even theo you used live sand a rock the tank need s time to settle down, you might try some time of filter floss or other mechanical filtration to pull out the particulate in the mean time

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tend to think water borne bacterial bloom,.. I'm also thinking that you should wait to add anything until it clears up.

Bacteria will take up any nutreants and lock them up,.. you then won't be able to test for them.

It never hurts to wait.
Whiskey
True true...I guess another week won't hurt. Just out of curiousity, how can a bloom hurt fish, corals, etc? I just have a very small CUC, a green star polyp colony, and a couple candy cane frags in there now...

·
Registered
140 Posts
What test kits are you using? Most kits will read a false "0" when getting close to zero. I would wait on adding extra load. When this clears up, go very slow. Your tank will need time to adjust to everything you add.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts