The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My marine tank was crystal clear this morning, then it seemed in a matter of hours it was milky and cloudy. Nothing has died recently...the fish seem fine. The corals have retracted a little ( they dont look as "happy" as normal) and the inverebrates have seemed to all gather on the tops of the rocks. What could be causing this? thanks for the info !

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Welcome and have fun.
A little more information on the tank would help.
Size, age, stock, current water test results.
Milky white, from what it sounds is a bacterial bloom, especially since the water was clear this morning.
It is possible that a crab or snail died in your rock work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going into Month 4.
All testing was good ( 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, normal PH and Nitrates )
Stocked with 2 clowns, 2 blue azule damsels, several snails and turbos, severla blue and red hermits, halloween Hermit, Hawkfish, 2 gobies and a pistol shrimp and a black comb blenny.
Corals are zoanthids, leather toadstool, hammer heads and frogspawn.

The leather toadstool has retracted its feelers, the zoanthids have shrunk, and the hammerhead has sucked in a bit. The fish are acting fine. The inverts seem fine. everyone seems to be accounted for...

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Did you add anything recently? Sometimes a sudden increase in bioload can cause a bacterial bloom which will give you cloudy water. I've also heard of household sprays affecting the tank like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We havent added anything in 2 weeks. We only use a wet towel and a dry towel to clean the glass.....and the lid of the tank is about 5.5 ft off the ground...so no little hands adding anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The first fish were the damsels added in thr 2nd month. We survived the diatoms, we now have green and coraline algae. The water has been clear and everything has been happy. Until today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And the tank is an 80 gallon. When you look at the water, whatever is in the water is in the current, so it kinda reminds me of smoke....the fish seem happy, but its the corals i am worried about. They dont look sick or anything, it just looks like they do when we turn the lights out at night....

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I would run some carbon if you have it. Could be something spawning or shedding. If it continues, I'd suggest a water change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts