The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody used a closed loop system? Could You tell me the benefits of using one or why not to use one? I like the one on meleves reef, I'm just not 100% sure how it works, any input is appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
melevs reef has a pretty good explanation of a closed loop.

Basically, it is a way to recirculate water in a closed system fashion. Water enters via an intake and out however you like it exit. There is no cyphon as there is no where for the water to go....its a closed system. Head loss is minimal also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
I run Melev's closed loop design and I love it. Use the larger pump (7) is what I run. Throught the SCWD you get a predictable alternating current in your tank. The biggest reason to run a closed loop is to reduce the flow through the sump to allow more time for skimming.

I use a 9.5 as a return and a 7 on the closed loop for my 90 reef.

The SWCD based closed loop is an inexpenseive way to get alternating current in your tank. I recomend one.

GT
 

·
.
Joined
·
11,345 Posts
In a nutshell the closed loop providesextra flow and water turnover in the tank without having to route it through the sump or having to use powerheads. If done right it can elininate more clutter in the tank and still achieve more "true" reef like flow. I just built what i believe to be a great closed loop...its a little on the extreme side.....but i like it

every pipe you see there with the exception of the one going across the top is for the CLS.

There are ZERO pipes in the tank with the exception of the spraybars.....
 

Attachments

·
uber-stupid
Joined
·
4,781 Posts
Fly your CLS is Fly.

Thats things gonna rock (If it doesn't already). I think it is the best exsample of a (somewhat) simple CLS I have seen. 8 way oceans motion. How many GPH are you pumping in that thing fly.

I can't wait untill I get my 800 cube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Fly Guy said:
In a nutshell the closed loop providesextra flow and water turnover in the tank without having to route it through the sump or having to use powerheads. If done right it can elininate more clutter in the tank and still achieve more "true" reef like flow. I just built what i believe to be a great closed loop...its a little on the extreme side.....but i like it

every pipe you see there with the exception of the one going across the top is for the CLS.

There are ZERO pipes in the tank with the exception of the spraybars.....
That is a Totally AWSOME closed loop. Got a web site with pics of the front? I have considered drilling my tank and getting the 4 way ocean motion. Where is the intake?
 

·
.
Joined
·
11,345 Posts
three90s&125sump said:
How many GPH are you pumping in that thing fly.

I can't wait untill I get my 800 cube.
i havent done the math for head loss.......OH GEOFF..need geoff for that...............anyway..running a barracuda on the OM 8-way and a dart on the return........so 8100 - head. This is a LPS only tank. with omniflex nozzles on each of the returns i can totally direct where i want the current to be and where i dont want it to be. Some mushrooms and such obviously wouldnt appreciate that flow.....


gtoon.....i am building a 90 BB sps right now that i already purchased a om 4 way for.......paul just took it back and traded me for a 8-way. AFter having this set up i dont want only 2 ports in the tank and 2 ports for the top returns. So Im going to have the exact same return setup except it is a coast to coast overflow which will be feeding the CLS instead of the overflow box like in this 225. I just got this 225 running last week. You can follow the link in my sig and check out the first couple fo pics for a FTS as well as some shots of the tank before it was full......

anyway..i dont recommend the 4 way if you are going to run spraybars with the cls...get the 8 way

im thinking about running a barracuda on that 90 as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
BTW it is said there is no head loss on a closed loop due to the same amoutn of gravity is gained as is lost. Don't know if I believe that or not but I haven't done any research to argue.

Loved the pics. Look forward to seeing the 90 BB running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Fly guy
That is some of the best plumbing i have seen ( nice work ) i have been doing some barter work at a place in n.h called the aquarium gallery. I just finished about 40 tanks on the wall for the start of there fresh water fish system. They say that i am nuts with all the union ball valves and such, i will show them you pic and that will wake them up well done.
Wtrguy
 

·
.
Joined
·
11,345 Posts
Thank you wtrguy.....i even went ghetto with the schedule 40 unions and valves :funny:

I had a guy the other day tell me that the plumbing on a tank i was selling wasnt worth anything monetarily........lol he obviously hadnt ever actually purchased the fittings and built anything


I didnt whip that thing together in an hour or two.......truth be known i had a leak on one of the spraybar lines right before i started it up...........if you look at those spraybars coming out of the 8-way you can see i had to cut the ends off of the valves to make them fit......ill spare everyone from the details but that was not a very fun thing to fix.:doh:

AS far as the head pressure thing goes....i dont think there is anything gained by gravity feeding into a pump like that....so you still have to lift the water up to the hub.........wheres geoff???

I defintely DO know there IS loss to friction from splitting a 1 1/2" line into a 8 way hub with 4 ports opening and closing every 15 seconds.....and then up to the cls outlets

regardless...nothing a big enough pump cant compensate for :D
 

·
uber-stupid
Joined
·
4,781 Posts
Fly Guy said:
I
AS far as the head pressure thing goes....i dont think there is anything gained by gravity feeding into a pump like that....so you still have to lift the water up to the hub.........wheres geoff???

I defintely DO know there IS loss to friction from splitting a 1 1/2" line into a 8 way hub with 4 ports opening and closing every 15 seconds.....and then up to the cls outlets

regardless...nothing a big enough pump cant compensate for :D

There is no lose for lift. the pressure going in is the same as the presure going out head loss for water pressure (not friction) starts at the top of the water level and since the intakes and out puts are both below the water level there is no lose for gravity.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
34,435 Posts
what 3-90's said.

there is plenty of head loss due to plumbing though. there is a decent head loss calculator on that other big reef site. it has several pumps to choose from and you can pick the inlet and outlet plumbing sizes along with the elbows, valves, and tee's. it gives a good guesstimate.

OM are the one of the best oscilators, but unless it is a 1.5" OM it will be adding a fair amount of head pressure to the pump.

G~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
valves / elbos / tees / all of that will cut down the flow, as well as head distence. but there is always a biger pump. i am running a mag 36 on the sump outside. it moves the water to the 125 about 9' head i think i move about 1,200 gallons per hr, BUT that thing is the noisest thing it sounds like a rock crusher, it is going soon, torn between the chiller or the pump.
wtrguy
 

·
.
Joined
·
11,345 Posts
wtrguy said:
valves / elbos / tees / all of that will cut down the flow, as well as head distence. but there is always a biger pump. i am running a mag 36 on the sump outside. it moves the water to the 125 about 9' head i think i move about 1,200 gallons per hr, BUT that thing is the noisest thing it sounds like a rock crusher, it is going soon, torn between the chiller or the pump.
wtrguy
go chiller.......with built in controller and heater outlet

nothing is sweeter than having your heater and chiller synchronized for worry free tank temp as well as MASSIVELY reducing the chance of a heater failing to shut off and overheating your tank....

youve got a pump already......put the pump NEXT on the list:)
 

·
uber-stupid
Joined
·
4,781 Posts
My mag36 is pretty loud but not intollerable. I supose if it were in my living room it would anoy me. I have it suspended in the water so it is not so loun if I let it touch anything I does sound like a rock crusher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Here is some pics of my closed loop set up.. not nearly as elaberate as Fly Guys but for smaller tanks, its all you need. The biggest thing to note is with the SQWD, you'll want to get the pipeing as close as you can to the in/outputs of the SQWD. My friend put his a few inches away, and over time its sagging pretty good. sorry about the size :(



 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top