The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I looked at the BlueSpotted Jawfish's den, and he had a shell pulled in front of it. Later on, he never came out. Just to be sure, I pulled the lights, grabbed a ladder and flashlight, and looked down into the overflow. YEP! You guessed it! So how do I get him out? My tank is 32" deep and I couldn't fit a net in there anyway. I shut off all the pumps but there was no way. So I pulled the Durso and drained the overflow. The sump overflowed and flooded the floor, but JawBoy went into the sump. NOW, I can't get him out of there because the first section is a baffle with a sealed cover. Barely enough room to reach my hand, never mind a net. So I had to remove all the piping and I bent up a net and managed to snatch him, after him jumping out a couple times. UGHHHHH:arg:

Does anyone have pics on how you may have the overflow covered with some kind of netting?

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
whatevva said:
This morning I looked at the BlueSpotted Jawfish's den, and he had a shell pulled in front of it. Later on, he never came out. Just to be sure, I pulled the lights, grabbed a ladder and flashlight, and looked down into the overflow. YEP! You guessed it! So how do I get him out? My tank is 32" deep and I couldn't fit a net in there anyway. I shut off all the pumps but there was no way. So I pulled the Durso and drained the overflow. The sump overflowed and flooded the floor, but JawBoy went into the sump. NOW, I can't get him out of there because the first section is a baffle with a sealed cover. Barely enough room to reach my hand, never mind a net. So I had to remove all the piping and I bent up a net and managed to snatch him, after him jumping out a couple times. UGHHHHH:arg:

Does anyone have pics on how you may have the overflow covered with some kind of netting?
I have a CPR overflow & it came with a diomond shaped material like plastic that folds in half, then slides down in side of the intake, i had the same problem last week, that's where i found my Yellow Gobie, i would check out the hardware store, or a window outlet to see if you could find a screen or somthing, & do the DIY thing.
Brent.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
do you have any eggcrate over the tank now? eggcrate- the wrong term for the open square plastic light diffusers for drop in ceiling lights. :D

i suggest covering your tank in this. does not disrupt the light much if installed with the flat sides down.

G~

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
When that happens i have a slightly easier method you might try.

cover the drain from the overflow with something to plug it up. when it fills to the top turn off your main pump to keep the tank from overflowing. the fish will then have room to swim around a bit. by using a longer rod you can coax him out of the bottom and get him to come up within net range. if it swims into the durso.... just unplug the drain and put a net under it to catch him when he comes barreling out.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by whatevva
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
Something like this?

It's called "gutter guard." I found it at HD, costs less than $3 for a 50' roll.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Thanx Vince..I think I can do a variation of that. That pic is exactly what I needed. :thumbup:

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gutter Guard has been installed!!!:agree:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts