The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear a click, click every few nights. Sometimes multiple times a night after the lights go out, sometimes not at all. Its not really loud but it is audible. My tank has been running for 2 years and Ive heard the noise since the beginning but Ive only had 3 fish completely dissappear w/o a trace. 2 clowns, 8 months apart and a rainford goby a few weeks ago. My question is, If I have a mantis, wouldnt he need to eat more? 3 fish in two years hardly constitutes feeding a mantis....am I correct? Ive tried the red light after dark but never saw him....that was almost a year ago.

·
Registered
87 Posts
ya know after thinking, i often hear a click every now and then. could be my neighbors or something but it is usually at night before i fall asleep when all the lights are out. that would be VERY loud because it is clear and distinct and i am WAY down the hall in my bedroom. hmmmm

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
if its either shrimp, i would think its a pistol, i dont think they are near as big, and they probbaly get plenty to eat just scavaging. might have attacked a fish that was messing with it. do you see any tunnels dug in your sand? burrows under rock or anything?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
<<< A mantis really only clicks if it is killing something. >>>

Not true, mantis shrimps will click when building their homes, as a defense mechanism, etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just put alot of rock in from someones ttank and there were afew pistol shrimp, the largest maybe 2 ", they were so small I tossed them in. I think they are pretty cool!

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea, the sound isnt a problem but the dissapearance of 3 fish w/ no bodies. Now I do have lots of critters that can dispose of a body so maybe thats why I never saw the remains. Is it possible to never see a pistol shrimp for over 2 years ??

·
Registered
102 Posts
We have a pistol shrimp. I love him! Our tank is 125g so he leaves everyone alone except for the clean up crew. We bought clean-up crew about 4 weeks ago, and now we need them again. Man did we hear a lot of popping the week after we bought more snails. He generally hangs out with the watchman goby. They have a symbiotic relationship and live in the same hole.

Almost sounds like someone is clapping in the other room. We can hear it across our house. We named him "pistol pete". My husband feeds him shrimp from the grocery store and that keeps him away from the others pretty well.

I would look near your goby. They can be very beautiful shrimp...bright colors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts