The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been doing some reasurch b/c my clownfish has not been eating and resperating at a high rate.

My conclusion is Oodinium.:bawling:

My treatment plan includes 10gal qt for all fish w/ hypo sal for 3 days, then adding copper as needed.:confused:

If I leave my display empty for 2 weeks will the infestatation dieoff with out hosts lie ich?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I am unclear on the name of the diseae.. I could get a link but you must provide me with the proper spelling

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I would not assum oodium just because your clowns are not eating and respirating normally. Do you have an ammonia level? Discribe any other fish symtoms and water parms

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
fish.freak said:
I have been doing some reasurch b/c my clownfish has not been eating and resperating at a high rate.

My conclusion is Oodium.:bawling:

My treatment plan includes 10gal qt for all fish w/ hypo sal for 3 days,then adding copper as needed.:confused:
Marine velvet is difficult to diagnose ... and the proper treatment is copper since hypo is not considered an effective treatment. Some people confuse amylo (marine velvet) with brooklynella (aka clownfish disease) .. different diseases with distinctly different treatment programs. The recommended treatment for brooklynella is formalin baths (copper is ineffective).

When in doubt you can do a FW dip in a shallow container of FW .. if amylo you should see a residual of fine white powder in the container .. if not then brook moves up in the ranking.

Heres a link which discusses FW dips
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/freshwaterdips.html
Here's a link which discusses amylo
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/amyloodinium.html
Here's a link which discusses brook
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/brooklynella.html

If you have amylo then I recommend using cupramine copper ... its considered one of the least harsh of the various coppers on the market.

If you have brooklynella then here's a link discussing how to give formalin baths.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/formalinbaths.html

Hope this helps.

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
As previously stated ... distinguishing between amylo and brook is sometimes difficult - loss of appetite occurs with both disease.

Often with amylo you can see a "sheen" --- like a fine mist of powder on the fish - thats why its commonly referred to as "velvet" .. however that "sheen" is not always visible in its early stages. Brooklynella has similar symptoms but doesn't have the sheen .. in Brooks case its common for the fish to excude excess mucus which in its later stages becomes pretty apparent. Both disease result in rapid breathing and loss of appetite .. both can rapidly kill.

As indicated in my original post a FW dip may help resolve the issue.

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just set up a 10 gal qt under my stand. It is too dificult to catch them with out pulling most of the rock so I need to wait to till the tank is ready.

yeaterday I did a fwd on the f. precula who has the main breathing problem. 10 min no help.

i just got back from class and the Marron and the f perc had white spoltches on them, not like ich but growth like patches, got a few bad pic I can post I need to decide on Cu or Formlyn I am going to the store tomarrow.

Since the addition of the spots I am leaning to Brookanella, Im not sure what do you think?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The FW dip was not suggested as a cure ... but as a method to help distinguish between brook and amylo (white powder residual thing).

Patches of white mucus is a pretty good sign that the fish has Brook and the formalin link I provided should help. You should note that the formalin often available in many LFS is Kordon's Formalin 03 which is a 3% solution of formaldehyde where the doseage outlined in the link I gave assumes your using std. formalin which is a 37% solution - adjust the doseage accordingly.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
you can kick the lifecycle of most parasites within a month or two. sounds like you have the right treatment. The problem still remains as to what happened in your tank that caused the breakout initially. healthy unstressed fish do not get sick. Something else is up in the tank and we need to figure that out. I will say that copper is never a good treatment for anything IMO. it poisons the fish at the same time and it usually only puts the disease into remission. then they get stressed from the move back from the qt tank to the main and they get sick again.

what changes have you made to the tank prior to the sickness coming out. within the last 2-3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Odds are that he came with it and the stress from the move brought it to bear. Not to beat a dead horse (cause i know we don't always have the room.... But QT is so important for fish and coral (when you can). how is he doing?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
fish.freak said:
how important is it to catch the high fined banded goby paired w/ a pistol shrimp. b/c it will be tough
Less so than with some diseases ... brooklynella is usually spread by physical contact and a healthy fish has a pretty good chance at avoiding/warding off brook -- your shrimp will be immune.

In most cases I would recommend treating all fish .. those that don't show obvious signs would receive a "mild" formalin bath. However ... depending on your level of experience and the fish .. that sometimes is easier said than done. If you think the stress associated with capture and treatment would be extreme than I would suggest you defer and observe the fish for a few weeks. Avoid adding new fish until you determine whether this problem is behind you ... qting new fish would also be advised.

In the future you should note that malachite green is a pretty toxic substance and I would not use in combination with formalin for brook problems. The std recommended dosages for formalin treatment assume your only using formalin and adding malachite may/would have adverse impact.

Hope this helps.

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kevin, in the QT tank I am using rid-ich(formalyn,malachite green) under my bosses advce.
I am also using 37%formalin aprox .5 mL to 4 L as noted on that web site.

Everyone is doing ok except my female f perc,(RIP) she was too far gone.

I am going to keep up 10 min FWD and 60 min baths till all signs are gone.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts