The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read people talking about a "cleanup-crew" in their tanks, what exactly is it? Should I get it for my 38 fowlr?

·
Registered
288 Posts
By clean-up crew people mean little herbivores and scavengers that keep the tank free of algae, uneaten food, etc. such as crabs and snails. Should you get a clean-up crew, well that depends on what types of fish are in your fowler(no puffers, eels, triggers, or other crustacean eating fish), and if you need any help keeping the tank clean.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
lol yeah. a clean up crew would quickly become dinner in a trigger/puffer tank!

if you have smaller or less hostile fish (dwarf angels, damsels, clowns, etc..) then a clean up crew certainly wouldn't hurt. and also adds a lot of life and activity and diversity to your tank.

i personally love the little critters..ie: stars, snails, and hermits!

·
Registered
559 Posts
For me the clean up crew was a great idea other than I can have no shrimp because the eel I have tends to dine on them. Although he seems to leave the hermits and snails alone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I run mostly blue-legged hermits and astrea snails in my 29. I would recommend you pick some up. They are not expensive, and I find them more entertaining than the fish. I also have a chocolate chip starfish in there, but he may have to go as I try and grow my coralline.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts