The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in contact with Everclear, a company in Texas that has very interesting products for acylic scratch repair (I have some minor scratches on the inside of my large tank that I was trying to figure out how to fix). They do acrylic repair on large tanks and in public aquaria, and also have new magnets that will be coming out that do not trap sand particles when you get too close to the sandbed. They will be in Atlanta the second week of August, and are coming over to show how their product works on my tank. It is a buffing system that hooks onto a power drill and has a 36" attachment, so you can get into most parts of a tank without too much trouble, and the best part is that it is reef safe.

Anybody interested in seeing the demo?

Steve

·
Mastero Blassto
481 Posts
I have been using a kit for a while now that is done by hand. I wish i would have known you were in need of a scratch removal...

·
Registered
390 Posts
i wonder how much does it cost and will it work for the curve on my 46G bowfront

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the 46 bowfront is glass, not acrylic.

The price if you buy the equipment is not too bad - check out their website.

Steve

·
Registered
390 Posts
Actually, Seaclear does make 46G acrylic bowfront. I have one and use it as my quarrantine tank now. Put me down for the demo please. I have 3 acrylic tanks and will need this system sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to ask them if that is the same company. Maybe the tank doesn't get touched, but by drinking that stuff it just looks clearer.

Steve

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a 46 gal bowfront acrylic? Hmmm.....maybe I need another tank..Ray is getting ahead of me.

Steve

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Todd -

What type of cleaner is it? Is it reef safe?

Steve

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
It is by Pentair, yes it is reef safe because it is a sanding process. Starts witha 1500 grit and ends at a 12000 grit. Once you hit that level it's polishing the acylic.

That's the only way I know you are going to get scratches out. Your hands get wet but it work perfectly.

Todd

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That sounds like the same stuff-but I can't reach the front of my big tank, so I need to either mount in on a magnet or use the drill attachment like they talk about. I wonder if mounting it on a magnet would produce "hot spots".

Steve

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have no idea what you need Steve, but maybe you could use a drywall sanding block & pole. They can be out of mostly plastic and the little steel clip part would last if fresh water rinsed. They work great for maintaining a flat plane during the scrub. Obviously do not use the standard sanding screens!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts