The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, its been a while, but I wanted to make a selection to what I might or can get and not just leave it up to everyone else :read:

I located what I can with the free time which was available to me for I need now to move to the next step and make a fish selection for which SPS corals will be last here being that I will not look at add any to the tanks until pass the 5th month of age for the tanks. Now the list below, only snails and hermits will be added to the tanks in the beginning months and the other selections wont be added until a much later date while the tank ages, they will be added slowly. If im missing anything, please do make it a suggestion for me to look into and any comments to the selection you see here, im all ears (eyes)

Fighting Conch(Strombus spp.)
Chitons (When they become available)
Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber (Holothuria sp.)
Edible Sea Cucumber (Holothuria edulis)
Papillate Sea Cucumber/Light-Spotted Sea Cucumber (Holothuria hilla)
Alabaster Worm Cucumber (Opheodesoma sp.)
Turbo Snail Mexican (Turbo fluctuosa)
Turbo Snail (Turbo sp.)
Astraea Turbo Snail ((Astraea tecta)
Red Scarlet hermit crabs (Paguristes cadenati)
Blue-Legged Hermit Crabs (Clibanarius tricolor)
Peppermint Shrimps (Lysmata wurdemanni)
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
Blood Red Fire Shrimp (Lysmata debelius)
Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus sp.)
Indo-Pacific White-Striped Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
Blue tuxedo urchin (Mespillia globulus)
Globe Urchin (Mespilia globulus)
Emerald Crab (Mithrax sculptus)
Sand Sifting Starfish (Astropecten polycanthus)
Purple Burgundy Sea Star (Tamaria sp.)
Red Sea Star (Fromia milleporella)
Assorted Marble Sea Star (Fromia sp.)
Tiger-striped Fancy Serpent Sea Star (Ophiolepsis superba)
Fancy Banded Serpent Star (Ophiocoma sp.)
Blue Linckia Sea Star (Linckia laevigata)

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Buddy

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd re-consider the Tiger-Tail Sea Cuke, hermit crabs like to annoy them which causes them to release a vertebrate specific neurotoxin called 'holothurin'

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
why so many cukes?
i think you might be in trouble with the pistol shrimp and all the other crawlers in the tank.
the sand sifting star fish is not needed at all. you have conchs on the tank. so half the list is not really needed.

the amount of star fish will also have a fun time going after the crawlers of the tank..

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
why so many cukes?
i think you might be in trouble with the pistol shrimp and all the other crawlers in the tank.
the sand sifting star fish is not needed at all. you have conchs on the tank. so half the list is not really needed.

the amount of star fish will also have a fun time going after the crawlers of the tank..
and they probally starve each other with so many sifters!

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
and they probally starve each other with so many sifters!
i agree.

I would just get some astrea and nassarius snails. I hate hermit crabs.

the nassarius will definitely help your sand by digging in it and eating leftover food.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I been quite busy and couldn't get back as soon as I would had like too. I had my grandchildren all day yesterday and I been battling the flu bug and it keeps me from having a good night rest. In any case, yes, the list is only what im too choose from and not that I will have all that is listed.

I not gotten to much on opinions or suggestions as yet from the few forums I post this in. One in another forum suggested that the sand sifting starfish is not ideal for a 180 in which I cannot understand that reasoning.

As im to have time, im also putting together a fish selection in which im to select from. Also, im not to buy the Emerald Crab, only if I need too. As time moves along, I will have clams as well with a pair of dwarf moray, Redface morays. So selection ideas needs to work around these additions. They really been in my plans for these tanks from the very beginning.

On the larger snails, im to only have a smaller number of those on the species selected and know that any corals can or could be knocked over.

probally starve each other with so many sifters!
I know not to go with just sand sifting species, but also with others that will feed on the daily feedings. Even for later on as the system ages, and I not see as many of the hermits, I will not buy more if I see that its not needed, the same with the snails. One thing that no one has mentioned, in which im glad of it is the engineer goby.

But in the Goby family, these are the sand sifters that I know of>
Diamond Watchman Goby (Valencienna puellaris)
Two Spot Goby (Signigobius biocellatus)
Tiger Watchman Goby (Valencienna wardii)
Sleeper Gold Head Goby (Valencienna strigata)
Sleeper Banded Goby (Amblygobius phalaena)
Sleeper Blue Dot Goby (Valenciennea sexguttata)
Orangemarked Goby (Amblygobius decussatus)
Sleeper Railway Glider Goby (Valenciennea helsdingeni)
Sleeper Striped Goby (Valenciennea longipinnis)

I not made my selection from this group alone, I gone with what I mostly wanted or seen that what I may or will like the most. Also, I figure in this area that within a 180, I should be able to get away with it by having three pairs. Im also looking for more opinions on the starfishes what if any of my selection works great in your opinion or some other sea star species?

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Buddy

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
sorry buddy ,
i would run

Turbo Snail Mexican (Turbo fluctuosa)
these are great on various types of green algae, they are also a bull dozer! anything in the way .. they dont care.
Peppermint Shrimps (Lysmata wurdemanni)
greta little "dancing" shrimp. they love to move withthe current of the tank. this is often times the movement to show they are open for cleaning, they will also help keep apitaisa under control.
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
Blood Red Fire Shrimp (Lysmata debelius)
either one is also fine or both

fine to have as a another clean the tank

Emerald Crab (Mithrax sculptus)
another "green" eater.. but once they get bigger can get a bit mean towards others. and also starve if they dont go after you other inhabiants.
i woudl stay away from stars all togeather.
simple is fine and usually the best.

you cna add red and blue legs to thte tank in the beginning , but once they are done you end up having to take most out.

Sleeper Banded Goby (Amblygobius phalaena)
not a bad one to run with. does not sift as much as the others and will go after small pellet foods.

same with Diamond Watchman Goby (Valencienna puellaris)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Tim, I not counted much on having any starfish, only that if what is more ideal for the tank or not, but i did counted on having sea cucumbers and Urchins and none of these would be added until a later date and which I will count on the tangs and snails and so to do their jobs.

I know of the Turbo Snails to the kind of bull dozers they are and that I will have kevin come over to better position certain corals if I see its needed for which with my disability, Im not sure to flexible I will be to reaching into the tanks.

I think that I mentioned that I will not get any Emerald Crabs (Mithrax sculptus), only if I have need for their services.

On the removing of any hermits that were put in the tank at the start, will be rather difficult to remove all unless they venture into open areas or into view to which I can even siphon with a plastic tubing. also on the Emerald Crab, only once in my life did I have need to buy these back around 9-10 years ago when I ran mostly soft corals and here in that time in NC, we had just had an ice storm and had no power for 6.5 days and it mess some things up in which causing me to get bubble algae.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Buddy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, my cleaning crew are now:

Fighting Conch(Strombus spp.)
Chitons (When they become available)
Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber (Holothuria sp.)
Edible Sea Cucumber (Holothuria edulis)
Papillate Sea Cucumber/Light-Spotted Sea Cucumber (Holothuria hilla)
Alabaster Worm Cucumber (Opheodesoma sp.)
Turbo Snail (Turbo sp.)
Astraea Turbo Snail ((Astraea tecta)
Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus sp.)
Globe Urchin (Mespilia globulus)

And that is possible cleaning crew for I will not have all those cucumbers>

Merry Christmas :freak:

Buddy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts