The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
couple of questions regarding algae on the glass.

do most of you forego cleaning the back all of the tank? i see a lot of tank where the backwall and powerheads, overflows, pvc etc.. is encrusted. my tnak has a boatload of algae growing on all the glass. i'm cleaning it daily! but it is a major pain to clean the back wall, overflow box, and powerheads.

i havea mag float, so the sides and front are not too difficult, but the back is a major pain. plus, the back wall is painted outside, and i'm afraid of scratching the paint.

doe the moment i have been cleaning the back wall from the inside with a poly filter cut into smal pieces. but its still difiicult to get behind rock and what not, so i have been slowly leting it creep up.

btw: i havesome corraline growing, and some bright green stuff. there are about 4 or 5 different shades growing.

· Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well mine is a bit out of whack (due to the overfeeding, and lights) if i go two days without cleaning the front glass, i can barely see the fish, seriosuly. and if you look in from the side. it's one solid wall of green. looks like i painted the front glass green!

the back wall i dont mind, since i see alot that are like that, but front and sides are bad. it's starting to slow a bit, but i guess it will take some more water changes, and even more reduction in feeding schedule to get it in check.

snails... haha dont have any! they are all dead!! and i am not adding anythign to this tank again until it is certified stable and mature and ready for snails .. oh wait, never mind i cant ever put snails in here. ok so much for that idea.

the cowrie does a pretty goodjob, but there is a lot of tank, for that one cwrie, and he seems to like the rocks a bit better than the glass.

· Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scrapers. ahh yes that was gonna be a question soon!! i'm starting to notice several spots that definitly need scraped.

in my fw tanks i usea razor blad. i figured because of the metals i shouldnt do that in the sw. os iwas gonna use a credit card. but then i wasnt sure if the ink would come off and polute the tank.

so.. rec's on some affordable/quality scrapers?

· Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool so i can use a credit card.. i was goign to but wasnt sure if the ink would leach out or anything..

johnny, yep thats jsut what my mag float does! i found out the hard way too. umm but mine wasnt on the glass, i was holding the two sides in either hand and seeing how close i could get htem before they attached. and the tip of my finger got a nice bite and blood blister on it :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.