The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'll be cleaning up a tank that I had going for awhile, going to be swapping everything from my 10g at work to a 15g; whats best to throughly clean the inside of the tank, vinegar, alachol or something else? Thanks.

Lee

·
Registered
474 Posts
We use lemon juice. But I can't think of reason why you could not use vinegar. Just make sure you do a thorough rinse with anything because the residues are organic and the bacteria will love to chomp on them.

I would stay away from an ammonia based cleansers and anything with ingredients that you can't pronounce.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Vinegar worked really well for me when I was cleaning out my 12g Eclipse to use as a backup/hospital tank. Get some rubber gloves or be prepared to have your hands smell like vinegar for about a day afterwards. :)

-Andy

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great, thanks guys! Yeah the tank will be sitting for a bit after emptied, gonna try the whole bare bottom thing.

·
Addicted to water
1,011 Posts
White vinegar is my choice cleaner as well.

Good luck with the tank swap, and enjoy going bare bottom - I doubt you'll be disappointed with the results. :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank kayla, I've been boggling between the idea of it for awhile now, but seeing that I scooped up a remora skimmer for really cheap I figured why not. Plus the tank has a top hole drilled in it already, that will just make my SCWD feed easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts