The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Not the LFS.......
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to share these pictures of our Cleaner Shrimp.......This type of thing makes this hobby so great. The pictures are not the best because all the lights were off and I didn't bother setting up the tripod but they turned out fairly good.

Hope you enjoy...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Cool Mike. I've got some pictures of 1 of Keri's Cleaner Shrimp filled with eggs too (just about an hour before she released them). Of course I didn't have the camera handy when she did release them. The fish definitely had a great feed that day!

Attachments

·
Not the LFS.......
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fish food for now. I'm not setup to raise a bunch of cleaners.

Waynesworld said:
Mike,

Very cool pictures. Do you have any plans for hatching or raising them?

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
tashier, it's so cool. The shrimp are um, well, yeah, they're both genders. When they molt they're female and able to be fertilized. Later on they're male and they fertilize whoever molts. Here's a pic of my peppermint shrimp with eggs, isn't it neat!

Attachments

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
DebsSisterFlo said:
tashier, it's so cool. The shrimp are um, well, yeah, they're both genders. When they molt they're female and able to be fertilized. Later on they're male and they fertilize whoever molts. Here's a pic of my peppermint shrimp with eggs, isn't it neat!
Really.... Didn't know that. Interesting, so my tank is full of a bunch of bisexuals. :funny: I've seen them molt but haven't ever seen any eggs. Has anyone ever seen them getting busy or how does that happen?

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
don't they just release the eggs, or do they actually hatch on the parent? Either way it's a great natural food source for the fish, and I'm sure my seahorses love it!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Twitterbait said:
It is a sign that they are happy :D
actually I read an article in one of the fish mags (can't remember which one) that someone has been able to raise cleaner shrimp to adulthood. The problem is that it took so much time and effort to get it to happen that to sell them commercially they would cost about five times what we pay for them now.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Twitterbait said:
The correct term is hermaphrodyte... Don't expect them to survive. nobody has ever gotten them to survive to adulthood in captivity.
sorry wrong quote before, this is the one I meant to use (can't edit post my browser is crashing when I try).

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
so then, are all of the shrimps that we buy wild caught?!?! I thought that would be something that is tank raised... huh.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts