The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a peppermint shrimp and a cleaner shrimp in my tank about a week n a half ago. The peppermint is crawlin about and doin his job, but havent seen the other one since i put him in the tank. Is this normal or should i b concerned?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wouldn't. The cleaner shrimp could have molted and just hiding out until his skeleton hardens. My cleaner shrimp likes to hid out in the LR and wait for someone to swim by. Keep your eye out for him

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My pep shrimp does nothing but sit in one corner. Are they supposed to do anything? And yes, i have checked at night.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My pep shrimp does nothing but sit in one corner. Are they supposed to do anything? And yes, i have checked at night.
I have peppermints too and for the most part that is all they do. My peppermints don't come out until night and they scavenge the tank. If you have aptasia they may eat that.

·
Registered
433 Posts
What do they scavenge? Algae or death?
Haven't much die in my tank but the occasional snail and my hermits are over that before the shrimp. I see him eating left over food that falls to the bottom of the tank and I've even seen them eat poop. YUCK

·
Registered
773 Posts
I deposited 2 peppermints into my tank to go with my cleaner shrimp. I've only seen one peppermint on one occasion since dropping them in. All my aiptasia is gone. :) I did find a skeleton in the powerhead the other day.
My cleaner shrimp comes out every night at feeding time.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Algae eaters? or normal scavengers? Im about to go buy some more CUC. just wandering what to get..... I'm goin to get more hermits for sure. But what else. I have an emerald, pep shrimp. 5 hermits and a stupid sand snail that doesnt do anything

·
Administrator
18,790 Posts
It all comes down to what your tank needs. Each member of your CUC has a purpose and does something slightly different. Hermits eat detritus, so do peppermint shrimp, but they don't eat it out of the same places in the tank, so both are good. Cerith snails eat algae, so do trochus, but the cerith eats it from just under the edge of the sand where other snails won't.

What does your tank NEED?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Algae eaters? or normal scavengers? Im about to go buy some more CUC. just wandering what to get..... I'm goin to get more hermits for sure. But what else. I have an emerald, pep shrimp. 5 hermits and a stupid sand snail that doesnt do anything
This original thread may be finished, I don't know, but no need to hijack it.

You may receive more answers if you were to start your own thread, with a different title, that more meets your needs.

Not trying to be rude, we are here to help and share our knowledge and experience with you. We also want you to be able to get the most out of this forum.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
This original thread may be finished, I don't know, but no need to hijack it.

You may receive more answers if you were to start your own thread, with a different title, that more meets your needs.

Not trying to be rude, we are here to help and share our knowledge and experience with you. We also want you to be able to get the most out of this forum.
Sorry. Didn't mean to jack it. I figured i would ask some questons of mine that might help both me and the first guy who posted. Sorry to go off a diff direction a lil. But thank you all who helped.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't. The cleaner shrimp could have molted and just hiding out until his skeleton hardens. My cleaner shrimp likes to hid out in the LR and wait for someone to swim by. Keep your eye out for him
i did see shrimp skin in one of my powerheads so that is quite the possibility

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re-started my 45 gal reef last month. Last night added 2 cleaner shrimp, Tonight having fun watching a small (maybe 2") blue tang go to the cleaner station. What fun to watch.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
The cleaners in my 175g set up a station and the tangs and a few other fish frequent it daily. The cleaner in the 55g will hide and then pounce on any fish that comes close trying to clean them. Pretty funny to watch. My peppermints in the 175g only come out at night and don't seem to be doing much with the little aptasia in the tank. The peppermints in the 55g are out when ever it is feeding time.

·
Doc Holiday
2,373 Posts
I just added a second cleaner to my tank he's the first to ever be out and about the other one hides.. I have a 2 pepermint shrimp also but I'm lucky if I see them once a month.. Mostly when the lights are off..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts