The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang. Recently added a cleaner shrimp to my tank which already has a fire shrimp and some little one that I was told would eat apatasia.
Anyway I bought the cleaner one because someone on here said it might help clean some ick off a yellow tang. Low and behold the shrimp has been more visible the last few days but he hasn't hitched onboard the Yellow Tang train yet and in fact we noticed what looked like a carcass in the back of the tank this morning. We thought maybe he shed, but I think he died. Everything else is cool though. Are these sensitive creatures? The tang by the way does not look like a fish that has a disease but still has the white spots. Should I try another cleaner shrimp?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Well if the other shrimp you have for the aiptasia is a peppermint shrimp, they don't work out too well together. It is possible that the pep might have killed him. Hard to say, some people say absolutely no other shrimp with the pep and some say it can be done without any issues. Guess it just depends how friendly they are. I have never heard of a cleaner shrimp being an effective way to cure ich. Removing the fish to a qt tank and copper treating is the most effective way that i know of.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I had a peppermint and skunk cleaner together for 12 months before the peppermint disappeared.
The skunk cleaner intimidated the peppermint if the peppermint strayed outside the left half of the tank.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
all three shrimp are very communial and should be fine, i have a skunk and a fire shrimp together now and never see a problem.
how did you acclimate him?
and how long?

as for the cleaner shrimp cleaning the fish it would have to present him self to the shrimp and then most of the time the shrimp will jump on and do his job, every once in awhile i see my cleaner shrimp jump on my maroon clown and flassher wrasse but only if the fish want's him to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts