The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have gone through my second cleaner shrimp. My water test are all good but my nitrates are a tad high. I do the whole acclimation process. One I add the cleaner in, its starts to swim around and then all of the son goes into a shock and dies ?? Whats up with that ??? My peppermints are alive...

-Paul

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
-Float bag to get the temp
-Add into a bowl
-Add 50% tank water
-Wait 20 mins
-Add 50%m more tank water
-Wait 20 mins
-Poor water out of bowl
-Add 50% tank water
-Wait 20 mins
-Add 50% more tank water
-Wait 20 mins
-Add to tank
-Dead

-Paul

·
Registered
645 Posts
Try this. Get a 5 gallon bucket. Dump the cleaner and water from the LFS (make sure that you get enough water from them) into the bucket. Take a long piece of narrow air tubing. Create a siphon from your tank and tie a knot at the end so that it creates a slow drip effect. Allow the hose to drip into the bucket for 1 hour. Net the cleaner and place him into your tank. At first I was using the same method as you with the same results. Since then I have used the drip acclimation with great success. It also works great with fish, because it allows you to medicate for an hour or so with hydroplex or what ever you may use. This is if you don't quarantine. Good luck!

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Dunno if it makes a difference but when I acclimate anything I keep the bag floating at all times. I also don't dump the original LFS H2O. I dump my water in on top of it little by little roughly every 20 min over the course of a couple hrs. I then drain the mixed water and toss it. If its a fishy I'll give him a quick FW dip, if its an invert I just plop him in the tank w/ no FW dip.

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
I only dip for a max of 30-45 seconds. Just long enough to knock loose any parasites and not long enough to kill most fish. Needless to say if I pick up an especially ginger fish (Batfish) there's no WAY I'm dipping him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.