The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, another quick question on the topic of cleaner crews for a nano reef, what's an ideal cleaner crew for a 25 gallon nano reef, as far as hermit crabs ,turbos ,ext I'm running a 25 gallon reef with about 25 30 lb of olive rock and I recently moved which left me with only 4turbos, I'm going to pick some stuff up today , I just wanted some professional advice, thanks

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Ive had no problems with my snails, I like Bumble Bees as they stay small. My others grow so big that they cant access the areas where the deitrus accumulates. Keep them as small as you can. Same goes for hermits but the blue ones always kill each other off. and if you mix reds and blues the reds will kill all the blues. Check out reefcleaners.com they have some pretty good selections for all tank sizes.
Welcome to the reef

·
Registered
47 Posts
i am a big fan of clean up crew that can self populate. i like snails, i do not like hermits. i like Ceriths, Trochus, and Stomatella. not a fan of nassarius.

G~
Excellent info thanks. I'm gonna pick some of these guys up

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
I wouldn't trust a crab in my tank.... Especially an emerald crab. Many people do like them though.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
nassarius are welks. meat eaters. they will not help in eating algae of any kind. the same is true for bumblebee snails.

G~
Snails (turban, astraea, cerith, turbos) never ate hair algae in my tank. Blue legged crabs may have, but I am not sure about that.

So when it comes to pest algae, I would not count on the clean up crew other than that they will eat what will become food for algae, and nassariuses are good for that.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I wouldn't trust a crab in my tank.... Especially an emerald crab. Many people do like them though.
Once I saw emerald pinching off and eating pieces of acropora.
But generally they do not live long in my tank. Not sure why. As for hair algae - they never touched it.

·
125 Gallon Tank
1,932 Posts
serpent sea start, i have one and i love it so i sweared to get everyone my LFS gets until they reach 20 :p

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
The best ones for cleaning the glass are a magfloat. The best for the sand is a siphon and you. The best for the rock is a powerhead. The best clean up crew for water is a skimmer and siphoning. I like nassiarus just cause I like to see all there snouts sticking out of the substrate. Turbos do a good job of cleaning the glass. Hermits are usually good for the live rock.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nassarius are welks. meat eaters. they will not help in eating algae of any kind. the same is true for bumblebee snails.

G~
Thanks these are the tips that I'm looking for. I had no clue they were welks, so hence the meat eaters I read online they only eat types of worms and left over food,I was also thinking a sally Lightfoot, any pointers?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
not a fan of any crabs. to opportunistic.

what i find funny about Nassarius is that they are sold to clear up algae, yet the only time anybody ever sees them is when food is put into the tank. if they were algae eaters, wouldn't they be out all of the time when the lights are on? ;)

G~

·
Registered
7 Posts
what type of clean up crew

Im in need of a clean up crew. Its 240 gal. Main tank with approx. 500lbs of live rock,the sand bottom is about 2-3" deep x 8'x18" . There is 1 baseball size dog face puffer, 1 niger trigger approx 8" and a 35" Japanese dragon eel. Recently added 6 tequila snails about 6" dia. And 8" tall shell ( big guys lol ) . There was recently and hair alge breakout ( takin care of ) now that my water quality is back to normal and my lights have been changed what type of crew could I get that my trigger and puffer wont think is a midnight snack.
The rest of the system is a 90 gal over flow tank ( as I call it ) it has 300lbs of rock sand bottom, ghost ribbon eel, a freakishly larger engineer gobie,beta, lawnmower blenny, hawkfish, butterfly angel couple damsel. 200 hermits 100 variety snails brittle star sand sifter star,various mushrooms.
Then the refugium is a converted 90 gal.with crushed rocked, mix of bio balls about 8"×12"×12" sand bottom with 50 lbs rock filter pad to the diamond series dolphin pump. I custom built all the above excpet the 240 acrylic the was special order. Will glady share pics when I figure out how to lol. Thanks for the help

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Hey reefetanklover, a warm welcome to TRT! You can post pictures when you reach 6 posts. Tell us more! (And I will turn a blind eye if you pad just a little bit to get to 6)
It sounds like you have a huge CUC already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh ms.helenwheels I wont have to pad anything thats for sure, I seek knowledge, I have questions believe me lol.
So do you think the 6 tequila snails are enough? What about my sand? Ive tried eveything except sand dollars. But every snail every star every crab becomes a meal. I just bought about a month ago 500 snails and 1000 hermitsa couple of the pencil urchins a few lettuce sea slugs and guess what... yup you got it LUNCH. I cant even get a fox face or butterfly because the way they sleep hide whatever youll call it, the dragon eel now has a snack as well. My bottom 2 I know the crew is plentiful its my 240 im concerned about.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts