The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just cleaned house tonight. I have a 30 gal reef for about a year. First six months were great. coraline algee growing. then I got alot of hair alge and white spot. Lost all of the fish. I had a DIY skimmer and a whisper filter.

tonight I threw out the DIY and the whisper installed a Remora skimmer and 75% of the rock. I scraped everything and scrubed. I still have a torch coral, ricordia and a hammer coral. they are hanging in there. Blood shrimp has lived through it all.

Without the whisper the tank has alot of particulate floating around. I only installed the old whisper when my old diamond goby "sifty" made the tank cloudy. any suggestions how to clear the water?

when should I introduce new live rock?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
you shouldnt add live rock when you have corals/ shrimp because it could cause a mini cycle and kill them

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
If you buy fully cured rock from a reputable LFS and keep it wet Damp at the least you should be able to add it with out problems. or if you could set up a tank or even a rubber maid container you can cure the rock in that before adding it to the tank

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any idea how to keep the water clear? The skimmer doesn't filter particulate. I removed the whisper filter b/c I thought it was a breeding ground.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,264 Posts
Remove the filter thingy from the Whisper and stick in floss (pillow stuffing at a craft store) and a sack of Wallyword carbon for some other filter that has the individual media elements.

Let it run for a couple of days to clean up the crud then throw the floss and carbon away and put away the Whisper for the next time.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
Buy a Magnum H.O.T. filter with a poly filter and carbon.and use it for a day or two should do! P.S.Were in NJ are you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts