The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all heard about the importance of a good clean up crew and to tell you the thruth, I think some of the crew packages are way too many creatures for our tanks. Not to mention the fact that crabs are hunters and will kill some snails and themselves, it just seem to me like a never ending cycle, buy them, get kill, buy again just to get killed.
Is it safe to say that if we try to eliminate the algie we could get away with a minimum crew? I got 3 turbos on my BB 20 gal (from the original 5)and they keep up with eating the algie. I clean the glass and they do the rocks. I also trim the macro once in a while.
I don't like having to spend money on them either, I prefer to get a coral or fish instead.
The rule of 1 snail per galon and 1 crab for 2 galons seem too rigid to me. And then we have the sand shifter crews, which I would think they eat the fauna in the live sand becoming not so live sand after a while. Many fish will do this also so it is realy woth it?

Things that make you go hummm!

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
I keep a few emeralds and the smaller hermit species.
I do lose the occassional snail, but not to the point of concern.
I've had no problems with coral munching and I find the tiny blue legs and scarlets make a nice contribution to the tank.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
In my 38gal I just have 5 turbos and 15 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab. Thats all I have and they do a good job. If you have RO/DI water you should not have that much food for algae to eat. Then if you have BB I would think even less food. 100% with you on this one.

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
I feed pretty healthy, so I still get the growth on the glass that needs cleaning every 4-5 days. Also, the hermits really swoop on whatever happens to find its way to the bottom. It's not as much a matter of sand or BB than it is a matter of how much you feed and how many things you're feeding IMO...

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
I have BL hermits and scarlets with no issues. Keeping a diverse crew is how I try and keep my system free from human hands and keep No3 down to zero. I have a few sea cucumbers, sifting stars, turbo's, Lawnmower, multiple serpent stars, skunk cleaners, peppermints, to name a few that work for scraps.

This really is more a preference due to the fact you can clean the tank or a "crew" can clean up. I prefer my crew specifically because I enjoy all the extra activity they bring, I have never had any of them attack anything other than the occasional blue leg jacking another blue legs shell, this is part due to I don't have a diverse selection of shells for my inmates.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nyles said:
This really is more a preference due to the fact you can clean the tank or a "crew" can clean up.
I completly agree, but I prefer to do this myself, I prefer to add a fish or a coral with my money instead of crabs.
I guess my thing is to not have to replace my crew every so often. At this time I only have 3 out of the original 5 tubos I originally got. For mr to replace 2 turbos, I have to drive to San Diego 2 1/2 hrs or Phoenix 3 hrs, then the snails get very expensive. And on-line is out of the question with shipping costs. When I lived in the NW Indiana area it was easier but I still hated the fact that my green brittle star (another clean up crew member) would eat my snails and crabs, not to mention my sand shifter sleeper goby as well.
All this little things turned me away from the hole DSB thing (but thats a different thread).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I keep my clean up crew to a minimum. They are a menace. That rule of 1 snail / gal is silly. I have hermits in my fuge, I put them in the main tank when needed.

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
i agree that most of the ratios are way to high ! but i guess if you are the one selling these creatures you wouldn't make very much money if the ratio was 1 per 10 gals . i aslo think that the methology you use makes a difference . my tank is b.b. and i have maybe 15 astrea snails and thats it . i always wonder who and how they come up with these ratios ? it seems an easier way would be start out with around 6 snails and adding more if needed .

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i have a 46 gal. 12 hermits, 5 mixed large snails (margaritas, astreas, etc.) bout 35 cerith snails. and 2 pms, they keep everything just fine and dandy, i went with a ton of the smaller snails so that losses are less noticable.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Fly Guy said:
Ive been crab free for about 4 months now.(no funny jokes at my expense at that statement).

Me and my tanks are much happier that way. I probably wont be able to get away with that on the predatorial tank im setting up though.
i have found that most predators do not like snails. most prefer the crustacean variety than the slimey kind. those that will eat snails will be more than happy to eat the crabby crunchy snacks also. :D

we only had snails in our grouper, lion, and eel tank.

G~

·
11,345 Posts
Geoff said:
i have found that most predators do not like snails. most prefer the crustacean variety than the slimey kind. those that will eat snails will be more than happy to eat the crabby crunchy snacks also. :D

we only had snails in our grouper, lion, and eel tank.

G~
I was actually thinking that i wont be able to get away with it not so much becasue i was worried about the snails safety ............ im not sure I can get away with the fish parts that get left behind with snails alone. If this isnt true Ill be happy to stay crabfee.

·
11,345 Posts
Geoff said:
that is what the bristleworms are for. :D

if you are a bit braver you could always use Nassarius snails for meaty cleanup.

G~
Braver??? Not sure im following................whats up with nassarius i dont know about???

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Nassarius are welks. meat eating snails. most are predatory, but the Nassarius are primarily scavangers. the problem is that if something is not doing well they can swarm and take it out before you have a chance to figure out what is wrong and try and save it. they are the hermits of the snail world. :(

G~

1 - 20 of 26 Posts