The Reef Tank banner

clean up crew for 30 gallon

10K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  cerobbins 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I'm assuming you're looking at the 25 gallon package. Good price .

Lettuce Slugs 1 ....are easily caught in pump/filter intakes and killed.

Astraea Snails 5 ...good algae eaters but krrp an eye on them. If they fall over and you don't get 'em back upright they can die.

Nerite Snails 7
Margarita Snails 7 I'm not sure but I think these two are temperate species and won't survive tropical temperatures for very long.

Onyx Nassarius Snails 7 good
Nassarius Snails 7 good
Cerith Snails 7 good

Tonga Fighting Conch 1 never had one.

Red Leg Reef Hermit Crabs 7 never had any.

Blue Leg Reef Hermit Crabs 7 good little cleaners. Never had a problem with 'em.

Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs 3 Ditto

Emerald Crabs 1 (With the red elbows) will eat valonia and turf algae (IME). May take a pinch or two out of corals (from what I've heard).

To answer your question: it seems a bit much for a 30 gallon. ;)

#3 ·
#4 ·
It does seem a bit much.

One warning I will add:

Nerite snails will start laying eggs, a lot of eggs, on the glass and they must be scraped off the glass with a scraper like a razor blade.

#7 ·
yea I have had that happen in the past but as long as there are extra shells they usually behave more or less IME:D

You have to watch the scarlets with the blue legs. The scarlets tend to pull the blue legs out of their shells if they decide they want a new home.
yes, I know... but the wars between various species of hermit crabs is entertaining to me for some reason:funny:

I think the algae only pack will be enough, 35 snails and 20 hermits should be more than enough, I may throw a couple in my FOWLR 10 gallon.
I just wish the mainstream online places had things like bristle worms and gammarus shrimp:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.