The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a three month old 40 gallon breeder with 3 blue legged crabs, 2 emerald crabs, and 9 snails (cereth, I think). no fish yet. I would like to increase the size of my crew because the algae is growing too quickly. Nitrites are zero and nitrates are about the same. I'm getting bubble algae and lots of furry growth on the coral. Lights are on about 10 hours/day. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
First of all, I think your tank is still too young to react to algae. It is still going through stages of developing the ecosystem, so I would not worry too much about algae.

Second, I would not count on CUC to fight algae. Unless you put like 100 herbivore crabs in there, they will have no visible effect on your algae.

You need to control nitrates and phosphates in the system. You said there is no fish there. Are you feeding the tank ?

You may want to reduce lights on time to maybe 9 hours.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Algae is perfectly normal in a 3 month old tank. It's called "the uglies". If you're using RODI water and doing good maintenance it'll start to clear up on it's own as the tank stabilzes. Best way to fight bubble algae is manual removal by scraping and siphoning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts