The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I was wondering, what kind of clam would you reccomendd for a 29 Gallon cube tank? I have 2 clowns, 1 baggai cardinal, 1 Potters angel (I would be taking a risk with him and the clam in the same tank) and 1 Flame firefish (not flame ANGEL, flame FIREFISH) lol. let me know what you think. Thanks.

·
Administrator
18,789 Posts
I just picked up a crocea for my 210 on Black Friday. One of the local stores was having a great special and then they made it more special...I got the clam, a green acan, and a red pocilipora with a crab hosting it for $88. Not too bad, that was $45 off the regular price for those three items. They also included tax in the $88.

Anyway. Crocea aren't the easiest of the clams, but they are my favorite. They are rock dwelling clams and only get 6" max size. They have a bright blue color that I love. My other clams out grew the tanks so I had to get rid of them. Even in a 210 the other clams can get so large they look out of place.

Clams in general don't do well in a tank where the water fluxuates. That's why I don't recommend them for smaller tanks. Of course they need bright light as well.

I recently learned there is no need to target feed clams, even small ones.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Depending on your lighting you might be able to keep a small crocea or maxima in that tank for awhile. Although both of these are on the smaller end of the giant clam scale I think both will eventually outgrow a small tank. Clams don't need ultra clean water, but as mentioned, they do need stable params...which can be harder to maintain with a smaller water volume...and the angel is definitely a concern...most angels include shellfish in their diet so going after a clam is a natural behavior for them.

With all that said, my advice would be to wait until you have a bigger tank some day to have a clam. If you had years of experience keeping clams I would say go for it, but it sounds like this would be your first...I don't think a 29g is a good tank to learn on when it comes to clams.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts