The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if my Crocea clam was possibly reproducing in my tank last week. I have no delusions that I will have a million plus (or even one) baby clams in my tank since my reading has indicated tank reproductions is rare. But, I thought I'd share my news anyway.

I had made several changes to the tank the day of the spawning that may explain it. I did a water change that I had not done in a long while. The salt content of the new water was one tick higher than previous (1.21 vs. 1.22) and it was my first time using the new Reef salt from Seachem.

After lights went out a couple hours later, I noticed my water was cloudy. I turned on my moonlights and saw the clam blowing plumes of smoke every minute or so. I checked back another hour later and the water was even more cloudy.

An article on the web indicates that the baby clams settle out of the water approximately one week later, even though they are still less than 1 mm in length. I'm not expecting anything, but I'll post back if I should happen to see anything.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I have seen mine do that its pretty cool havent seen any baby clams yet though.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
neat. your skimmer will kill most of what is there and i think you would need 2 clams to make babies :D. plus our tanks don't usually have the necessary phyto content to help babies grow... hope you see something.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The article I read indicated that most clams are hermaphrodites and produce both gametes at once, pushing one type into the water column and then the other.

In addition to the risks you listed regarding survival of embryos, the young ones have to ingest/absorb zooanthelae (msp), which I didn't expect to have much or any of that floating around in my tank.

In any case, it definitely was cool to see nature at work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oops! Missed that zero in the specific gravity. I normally run 1.022 to 1.023, but the water I initially added during the water change was 1.025.

Thanks for the catch!

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts