The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I got a Maxima clam and for a while it was looking great. It had an aiptasia and a few small starfish looking things but I scrubbed them off. For a while it was looking great however after getting back from a short vacation it’s no longer fully extending and is pulled into the shell. It still reacts to light and fish/crabs going over or near it but not sure what’s wrong. Haven’t noticed any of my fish nipping at it though I’ve been watching my lemonpeel angel for a bit to make sure it’s not the culprit. Not completely sure what to do but any advice is appreciated.
Vertebrate Giant clam Marine invertebrates Organism Coral

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,356 Posts
I’m really not sure , but if it’s getting too much light which is unlikely.
my guess is something is either picking at it, not more pest on it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried moving it to the other side of the tank from where the lemonpeel angel usually is and almost immediately noticed it swimming over near the clam’s new location and checking it out. I’m guessing that may be the culprit. The other inhabitants I have are a ghost ribbon eel, two Clarkii clowns, a sailfin tang, a starry blenny, cleaner blenny, canary goby, pink spot goby, and some urchins/hermits/snails (not pyramid) and I haven’t noticed any of them bothering the clam. If the lemon peel is the culprit, any clue what my options would be or if the only solution to get rid of one?

·
Super Moderator
26,356 Posts
If it the angel it has the taste and probably won’t stop, you may try and feel more . But even then it probably won’t stop

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was watching again and the sailfin tang just nipped the clam twice. I’ve never heard of this happening cause I’ve always hear they’re algae eaters and wouldn’t bother it. Is this unheard of? Will it continue nipping or should it leave it be after a bit

·
Super Moderator
26,356 Posts
I never had a tang nip a clam, I guess it’s possible but probably not real common, may just be checking it out.
I would leave it in and watch to see if it continues.

·
Super Moderator
26,356 Posts
If it looks like it going down hill , or if the tang continues nipping it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Decided to test a few things out as I was hoping the tang was just hungry. Set out a feeding clip with some nori and the tang seems satisfied now and has left the clam alone. Lemonpeel is still bugging it but I couldn’t bring myself to get rid of either of them so I’ve ordered a mesh quarantine box off Amazon. Should be enough to block the fish from getting to it but not too small that it would cut off the flow of water or light. Would this be a bad idea for any reason? I know it won’t look the best but I’m hoping it’ll at least keep everyone alive and healthy.

·
Super Moderator
26,356 Posts
I think that’s a good plan. Post the item here if you like. It maybe something others can use. I have seahorses and need thing to protect them from pumps and powerheads

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the item I ended up ordering. Just thinking I’ll place it over the clam in whatever spot it ends up liking best. Think this’ll work well enough?

·
Super Moderator
26,356 Posts
Thanks, I’m going to order one just to have in case I need one for a new addition or to place a powerhead in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts