The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 gallon tank that I am looking to have SPS LPS and some soft corals

I am trying to learn as much as I can about what type and how much circulation and flow is required in the tank. I have been looking at the Hydor Evolution powerheads and I see that they can be controlled by a wavemaker.

1) I have seen various wavemakers on the market so what are the benefits of having one and are there any recommendations on a specific model?

2) How much flow do I need? If I have a couple powerheads on a wavemaker is this sufficient flow for the tank?

3) how should I position the powerheads in the tank (i.e. what should my current look like?)

4) do I run the powerheads at full all of the time?

thank you all for your help, I've learned over the past few months to do as much research as I can before buying equipment. (Anyone want to buy a canister filter? :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just to but in. I was just looking online at the wavemaker 4 myself and was wondering if anyone know anything about it. The website is pretty vague other than it says it will controll up to 4 powerheads at once.

Since I am turning my fowlr tank into a reef, I was also curious about this.

I was also just reading in this reef hobbyist mag, i pick up at the lfs, on how the current in reef systems should be more random, than set... (if that makes sense)
That you def do not want to do a circular motion with the water, because other than having detris build up in the same spots, it will be like a "tree in the wind" with diff typs of corals.

The main question I have is, in order to get the wave effect, do you need to have a wavemaker (of some sort) or do they make powerheads, with this as a built in feature? If so what would be more cost effective. (the wavemaker 4 was like 400$ i believe)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered 2 Koralia evolution 1050s and a Neptune Apex lite aqua controller. I figured that I wanted a wave maker along with an auto top off so when I looked at also controlling my lights and monitoring my heater it was a no brainer. For the cost of a wave maker you may as well just get a controller. The full blown apex will also control variable speed pumps if you want to put the money down for that type of equipment. just my $0.02

·
Registered
240 Posts
I know this is an older post but I am setting up my 65 gallon tomorrow and have one 1050 and a nano powerhead and am wondering how you ended up running flow in your 65? I also am running a Mag 9.5 for return through a Y split loc-line. Thinking of ordering another 1050 or bigger head. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts