The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cinder Block stand. . . any thoughts?

I know everyone probably rolls their eyes when they see a post from me but. . .:D

I was thinking about using cinder blocks to make a stand. I figure that if I use 1 inch plywood for the top it could be removable in case I ever need to move the tank :eek: That way I shouldn't have to disturb the sandbed too badly. . .

The only concern I have is stability. I only need the stand to be 20" high, so hopefully I can find blocks similar to this size. I'm much handier with a needle and thread than a saw and drill at this point. I could make some curtains or similar to disguise the blocks and supply storage. At least I can have something servicable while I work on a "real" stand. :funny:

This could be a fairly inexpensive, quick and easy to asseble project. . .

Any thoughts. . . anyone tried this?. . .

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OOPS. . . forgot to say that I was thinking about putting 1/4" rubber (or similar) between the touching blocks as well as under the top to prevent slipping and such. . . OK, I think that's it. . . for now :)

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
yes.... I've seen a guy with a 900 gallon FW tank on cinder blocks..

Just make sure not to stub your toe on em...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. . . I am going out to play with my new "blocks"-- I picked up some of the fancier ones (have a sort of flower design in the middle). I plan to paint them a bright color-- I was thinking about filling in the holes with some sort or mortar (insert any suggestions here :) ) and put in some pieces of broken tile or pottery-- kind of a stained glass effect-- well, I'l paint them anyways :)

Should be interesting, but hey-- at least I don't have to hone my carpentry skills on the stand-- we'll save that for the canopy :)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Cinder blocks work just fine. However: seal them!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was planning to paint them, but now that you mention it sealing is always good. . . would a thick layer of polyeuothane (sp?) work, or is there something better?

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Yes lowes carries a waterproof sealer I have seen it but dont know the name sorry

·
Registered
658 Posts
Home Depot also carries the block sealer paint... they usually have a display right where you have your paint custom colored. It's an epoxy-based paint I believe that is used in basements to seal the walls against moisture seepage from soil around the foundation of the house.
You can't miss the display... it's got a cinderblock with a small fountain pump in it, half sealed with the paint and half without. I can't recall the name offhand either, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

·
Administrator
47,660 Posts
OK humor the old guy here. My first SW 29 back in the last century was on unsealed cinder blocks. Why the need to seal them.
Jenn if you do seal it with the epoxy based paint , be very observant of the ventilation while painting, the stuffs NASTY till its cured then its inert for all intents and purposes, the vapor when wet is BAD JUJU :(

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's see. . . spent the day yesterday hauling these cinder blocks around (I ended up using 18 of the bad boys). . . lined them up, rinsed em, dried 'em. . . moved them to a covered section of sidewalk and spray painted them with yellow, blue, and black paint. . . then a couple hours later (after running back to the hardware store-- they used to ask if I needed help, but now me and the kids are well known) I sealed them (I'll be darned if I can remember the brand, but the display was hard to miss!). . . they have been drying/curing overnight. . . I'll let you know how it turns out (I'll even steal a camera for pics :) )

I am now in the process of convincing my already stiff shoulders that I have to haul the blocks from outside to inside (basement no less :) ) That'll teach me to drink a whole pot of coffee and tell myself I'm ambitious. . . don't start to build a stand and move a tank AFTER you mow the lawn and shampoo the carpets. . . *groan* ;)

·
Nemo's Chamber Boy
4,539 Posts
i try to never shampoo my carpets, i have found all my diy has been much easier because of this.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Post a picture on how they turn out. It looks like you are doing a very good job on this project! 18 blocks, I hope you had some slave labor!!!! I know I am the slave labor in my family when my parents want something heavy moved.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts