The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blog Created for Chupakabra-King

My setup has been up and running since 1998. I had an unfortunate addition to my tank in 2004 ( predatory isopods ) that took out all my fish that had been with me since I started reefing . It broke my heart so I just turned off the lights and let everything sit . I had at first wanted to just leave it until the isopods were dead , but life happened and I ended up taking a break from the hobby for the next 2 yrs . All the while, I added topoff water to the tank and all the powerheads running so that the rock and various snails and crabs would be able to live. All my snails got HUGE and died off , and I had one big hermit survive to this day . My setup is described below . . .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I figured I would start this blog with a list of my equipment and such .

Custom built 110 Gallon tank ( 36" X 28" X 24" ) with a corner return
Custom built stand and light hood
2 175 Watt MH (10K bulbs , going to switch to 14K real soon)
1 250 Watt MH (10K bulb , going to switch to 14K real soon)
1 Berlin XL skimmer with a mag7 pump
Return pump is a Ehiem copy pump from china ( 1400 GPH )
All plumbing is PVC .
Approx 100 lbs of LR
Approx 150 lbs of LS

Livestock at the moment consists of about 15 micro hermits , 1 big hermit , 17 nassarius snails , 2 stomatella hitchhikers , 2 cerith snails , 2 zoa rocks , 1 blue/green chromis , and 2 engineer gobies .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have added what I believe an oscillaris clown , a beaded anemone , a purple mushroom and a brown w/ green stripes mushroom . These were added about a month ago and all are doing fine .

My engineer gobies are gaining their adult coloration and looking quite spiffy ! I just wish they would stop digging holes everywhere !:(

I had some stomatella snails have a ton of babies . They come out at night and are all over the glass . It's good to see some beneficial life multiplying finally ! Also, I have had a coepod and amphipod population explosion here lately . Nuisance algae has been all but eliminated . Spaghetti worms are also multiplying at a fast rate . I am starting to see the beginnings of a coralline algae explosion . Either it's taking it's sweet time or it is filling up the rocks before it starts on the glass .

I have also pulled the 10K bulbs and replaced them with 14K bulbs . MUCH BETTER ! Everything is glowing now ! Woot ! :dance: I can't believe I went so long without trying a bluer bulb . I won't be going back ! 14K is here to stay baby ! :dance:

I will post up more photos shortly . I hope to be adding some more mushrooms or zoas today .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts