The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first go at a reef tank. It's been up and running for about 10 weeks now with a few changes in that time. As it stands now i have

HARDWARE
36x15x18"
23kg live rock
dodgy in tank skimmer
fluval 304 (primarily used for flow until i get my sump set up)
30kg of sand/coral sand
automatic fresh water top off
2x39w T5HO light with 1 white and 1 actinic tube

WATER PARAMETERS
SG = 1.023
ph = 8.2-8.4
kh = 13 dkh
calcium = 380
ammonia/nitrate/nitrite = 0
phosphate = 0 (but algae is growing so i'm assuming there's some there)

LIVESTOCK
2 blue chromis
1 sixline wrasse
10 hermit crabs
15 assorted snails
~5 small crab hitch-hikers
a few colonies of Zoas (hitch-hikers)
Small green star polyp colony (hitch-hiker)
6 or 7 blue mushrooms (not doing so well)
1 red mushroom

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Planned Hardware Changes

I'll be doing this over the next few months in this order
- Add 10g custom sump and overflow box
- Add powerheads for increased flow
- remove fluval canister filter

I'm in the process of building a sump and overflow box. I have very limited space for the sump as my tank sits on my bench, not on a dedicated stand, and i only have one cupboard in the bench which i can use. Because of this (and to save money) I am building the sump out of timber with just a glass front. I have an spare ehiem 1060 which i plan on using for the return pump. I'm not sure if this is overkill for the tank size though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Planned Livestock Changes

The chromis have been picking on each other a fair bit (or just one picking on the other but i can't tell them apart haha) and I'm probably going to get rid of them. I wasn't that keen on them to start with but being my first marine tank, I didn't want to kill something expensive straight off the bat. A mate has an ~300g setup with a small school of them in there so he will probably take them.

I would like to add a pair of twinspot gobies, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding them. I'd like to get some sort of sand sifter in there soon so I may have to get something else instead of these guys.

Other additions I'm thinking of are:
- Flame angel
- Brazilian Gramma
- Small clownfish
- peppermnt shrimp
- cleaner shrimp

I know there is the risk that the flame angel will pick at corals but it is one of my favourite fish, and I've heard that it will most likely leave zoas and soft corals alone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
building sump out of wood???
Yeah I've seen large display tanks made out of wood so I figured it would work just as well for the sump. I will obviously do a rather extensive leak test before I install it haha.

I'm going to start raising the salinity. I've been using NSW so far and am trying to decide whether to continue with that with small additions of the artificial stuff to increase it a bit, or go completely artificial. My main reasons for wanting to stick with the NSW at least in part are not having to mix it, and not having an RO/DI unit.

I will definitely post pics as I go (nearly at 20 posts :))

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Your kH is a little high and im paranoid about kH right now haha mine went up to 14 the other week and my corals are still having alot of problems, try to lower it with water changes

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for that. What would you aim for? I had been dosing carbonate aiming for 12 and went a bit too far. Is 12 still too high? If I let it drop too far below this my ph seams to drop with it (down to 8ish). is this normal? how do i combat this without raising kh too high?

sorry if these are dumb questions, as i said I'm new to marine.
Cheers
Chris

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
Its ok im pretty new too, id try to lower the kH to 10, the PH should actually be 8-8.2 so its ok if it goes down a bit, just dont let it go too low

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
nice tank! The snail is an astro I THINK. but i thought it was a hermit, are there legs there or am I just seeing things?? ha ha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts