The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got my 2-165W Full spectrum lights up and running. Really like the lights and the adjustably of them lets me set the color/intensity perfectly. They have 90 degree optics which is fairly narrow. My tank has a center brace that causes some shading in the center. Adjusting the height or intensity doesn't affect the shading much.

Has any one removed the optics from these or similar lights? If so, what effects did it have? Does the light colors blend better?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
If you remove the optics, the light will be 180 degrees which will have more spread but less intensity/par.

How big is your tank?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
is it 36" or 24" long, either way will work, hang your lights 8" above the water line (AWOL) and should give you the blend you looking for. I have a tank that is 48" L and 21" H, I might need 3 lights to get the blend I need :( or hang it 8" AWOL.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
48x18x12. They are currently ~8' AWOL. Think I'm gonna separate my rocks into 2 structures to reduce the shading on the rocks.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wooden light rack is temporary. I have some 2" square tubing that I am going to make an "arm" from that will suspend the lights and conceal the wires.

IMG_1482.jpg

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately, that purple in the center isn't coralline. That's the shading from the center brace i was talking about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts