The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this forum seems like it's been pretty dead for a few days.

I'm in the market for a good chiller, but not the most expensive. I'm liking the JBJ arctica chillers for price, size, and performance. Anyone have any thoughts? I've got a 120G tank running at (I hate to say it) 87 degrees if I don't open up everything and put fans blowing on it. The livestock wasn't happy about the heat, nothing died luckily but my frogspawn seems to be the most unhappy. It's barely opening up.

Sean S.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Tim224DT said:
Pacific Coast 1/10 HP chiller the best for its money. I know people that use in on their 200 gallons tanks.

Tim
I have a 210 and also need a chiller but this says 800 gph{Water flow 500gph minimum 800gph maximum
hose connections 1/2" or 5/8" }

my pump is 1200gph I dont think this will work for my application????

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Tashier, I have the Artica 1/10 chiller and it's great! I got a great deal on ebay w/free shipping.They are delicate shippers these chillers,so buy from someone that will handle a shipping problem if one arises.The 1/10 is good for your size tank since I have it on a 100g.Hook up is easy,allyou need is the tubing and a powerhead. Gail

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Keep in mind. there are a ton of people using the 1/10 with great results. the pacific coast is the best from what i have seen and heard and the supplier is local if you have any issues.
Bob, 1/10 is fine for tanks up to 150 if you only need to drop the temp 10 degrees or so. plus the pacific coast chillers come with a built in controller. if you hooked up that 1hp to that tank you could freeze the water :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
The thing to remember here is the enviroment the chiller is going to be in. It makes a big difference if you have it in an open room compared to having it in a closet or a cabinet of some sort. A 1/10 horse will work ok if the room it is in has good air circulation and isn't hot itself. If it is going to be in a room with bad parameters, i would STRONGLY advise you to go bigger so it will be able to compensate for the room conditions. And i would have no problem with suggesting Pacific Coast chillers. For the money and the ease of having it serviced local, it is a tuff one to beat.

Sully

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey Sean,
I got the pc1 300. It is a 1/10th hp and has been working great on my 150g tank with all this heat. You can get it at custom aquatic for $349. I also picked up the genx 4100 pump. I don't remember how much the pump is running for. They are located in California so shipping was much cheaper and ground is only three days. http://www.customaquatic.com/customaquatic/searchhomekeyresult5.asp

The reason I got the 300 is that the 280 does not control the heat as well as the cool. The 300 is the same price.

·
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, what a difference a couple of fans makes, at least in my tank. 2 fans in the hood and 1 fan under the stand. I have two fans pulling air into the hood and then the air exits out the open back of the hood. One fan under the stand pulls air into the cabinet. I have had my MH's on for a couple hours and the temp is still 79 degrees. The hood is barely warm instead of very hot and under the stand is nice and cool. BUT I think I'd still like a chiller for when I'm out of town or don't have the AC on in the house. Josh, I see your point on the 300. Is there a 1/4HP with the same feature? It looks like 1/2 my frogspawn has perished, the other stalk is barely surviving. Everyone else is still happy. Too bad, this frogspawn was really getting big. Josh, do you feel like tanksitting my tank next week?

Sean S.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sean, Pacific Coast has the 1/4HP CL650 that has a plug for the heater also. It can run off the same size pump that 1/10HP would use also. If you are interested, let me know and i will make you a smoking deal on one so you don't have to go through the trouble of buying it on-line.

Jason

·
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I did get my chiller, a PCI 1/4HP chiller. I did have a little trouble getting the connections tight. Seems it wants less than hand tight, anything more and the threads will slip. I had one leak a little until a fussed around with it. Now it seems to be working great and no leaks. Anyone else see this on the PCI chillers?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts