The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Coralife "Aqua-Chill" chiller on my 210 reef. I run 3-400 MH 20k XMs & VHO actinics. My tank temp varies between 1- 1.5 degrees Speaking as a consumer, not a LFS owner, all I can say is WOW. I have access to may different brands. I wanted to give the Coralife a try. I can say I'm more than pleased with it.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
three90s&125sump said:
What was the variation before the chiller?
I had a chiller before. t was a "Freezing Point" 1/3 HP. The controller went bad & I couldn't find a intergrated replacement, all I could do was to replace it with an external drop in probe. Which meant I would have to drill another hole thru the wall. ( chiller is outside ). I had about a 2 - 3 degree differance, but it took about 20 minutes for the temp to drop, which meant chiller had to run longer. To answer Pat's question, it's a 1HP. I know it's a slight over kill, but I plan on going with a larger tank in the near future. The thing I noticed most besides the quietness of the unit is the consistentce of the temp. It runs in shorter cycles keeping the temp the same. I know with more start up = more electricity, but I wondering if more start ups with less run time will = out....????? I quess I'll find out on next months bill.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update.....My light cycle/duration, Actinics 5PM - 1AM, HM 6PM - 12 PM. At 8 AM this morning (lights off ) water temp was 77.2, last nite before I went to bed at 11PM ( lights on ) water temp was at 78.6.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sea Devil: to anwser your question about starts, It is best to have a compressor to stay running rather than cycle on and off. Two reasons. 1.The more you start and stop the more wear and tear and 2. even after your chiller starts it takes a while for your electric meter to slow down from the "inrush" or the initial start.
I work in a plant that runs (4) 800 ton chillers and we try to make sure the chillers do not stop and start very often. I've seen the electric bills!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hholland, thanks. I pretty much already knew that. I know my corals like the constant temp, but I'm sure my wife won't like the bill. I don't even see the bills, my wife takes care of that stuff. As I stated before, I know a 1HP was over kill, I could have gotten by with a 1/2 HP. I'm hoping to move to a larger tank within the next year or two & didn't want to have to buy another chiller for the new tank. I'm planning a 96" x 36" x 24", which according to "Garf" calculator is 359 gals. Also the cycle time isn't all that much different from my old chiller. The "on/off" times aren't that frequent, it just seems like it doesn't have to run as long as my old one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's the only reason I'm hesitant on going with MH.....the electric bill. I'm affraid if I add MH I will have to add a chiller

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hholland said:
That's the only reason I'm hesitant on going with MH.....the electric bill. I'm affraid if I add MH I will have to add a chiller
What type of lighting do you have now?

you can just about bet by adding MHs, especially in a canopy, that a chiller will be needed. I have all of the above with no regrets or complaints.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sea Devil: I have 4 95 watt VHO's in a canopy. I am running a Ice cap fan as well. The temp at the bottom of the tank is max 80deg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts